Train derailment near Stonehaven in Aberdeenshire (Scotland)

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Lachute

Train derailment near Stonehaven in Aberdeenshire (Scotland)

Postby Lachute » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:10 pm

Train derailment near Stonehaven in Aberdeenshire (Scotland): :(
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-53751774

Bigmet

Re: Train derailment near Stonehaven in Aberdeenshire (Scotland)

Postby Bigmet » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 am

Very bad indeed, thus the sadness of three fatalities, and I expect everyone else on board at least 'roughly handled' and thus very shaken up by the incident.

We will have to wait for the full accident report, but the photographs of the scene suggest to me that the train came to rest pretty much within its own length, given how 'thrown about' out of line the leading four vehicles finished up.

Chops

Postby Chops » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:55 am

That is rough. My deepest condolences.
Nessie rocks!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:27 am

For those that haven't seen it a useful report on the BBC.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-53778891

That makes it very clear that the location of the derailment led to much of the destruction, as it was just before a bridge over a steep sided valley. The derailed leading power car took a lot of damage as it largely destroyed one of the bridge parapets, before leaving the line and going down into the valley. That damage to the lead power car probably accounts for it catching fire so badly. The remaining five vehicles were getting thrown about by the lead power car collisions and the resulting debris, leading to the mess they finished up in. The last coach and rear power car are derailed, even though still upright on the track formation, so that is the whole train off the road. Unusually bad.

Manitoba

Postby Manitoba » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:43 pm

It did look clearly like a 50 mph plus accident, and it turns out the train was doing over 70 at the time of the derailment. Only a couple of miles from where it had been standing for a couple of hours. I can't help wondering what the urgency was to be going that fast in an area in which there were already landslips that halted progress. It's very sad that such awful consequences resulted from a bit too much haste, but I wonder how many drivers would have been proceeding at anything more than extreme caution in the same circumstances.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:16 pm

The railway driver is trained to run at 'line speed' for the class of traffic they are driving on the section of the line they are on, when a green signal is showing; unless specific instructions by an authorised body are given. That's essential to ensure the timetable working isn't disrupted. The only discretion the driver has is to stop the train in the event of imminent danger from any cause, when it is first observed. The RAIB enquiry will cover that in detail and that will be authoritative: for now, if the late driver was proceeding under green signals with no alternative instructions, then he should have been running at or near the 75mph limit for that section.

Given the weather conditions that caused the first landslip that stopped the train, I can imagine that the RAIB enquiry will make suggestions for suitable instructions to be in place on sections of the network vulnerable to landslip, when such an event occurs. And also a monitoring system if feasible, so the system isn't solely dependent on train crew information, but can slow or stop trains before a landslip is encountered.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:15 pm

There must be dozens of threads regarding this tragic incident and in the majority of cases the threads have been locked as we have no business coming up with unsupported theory's, it is the job of the RAIB to thoroughly investigate and make a comprehensive report based on all the evidence.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:05 pm

The interim RAIB report is out, there was flooding reported south of Carmont and north of Stonehaven, but none between the two and specifically none at the derailment site. The site was passed by the northbound train which was subsequently held at Stonehaven and nothing untoward reported.

Having crossed over to the right line to return north, there was no operational reason for the HST not to be travelling at line speed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pass ... d-21082020
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

SophiaJones62

Postby SophiaJones62 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:44 am

So we have to wait for more updates since flooding wasn't the case and the situation is not clear. Hopefully we will know soon enough! :wink:

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:54 pm

The link in my post gives the cause of the derailment as debris from a washed out crest drain at the top of the cutting just prior to the viaduct. I expect the rest of the investigation will go into some detail over the design of crest drains as well as everything else.

I presume it hadn't washed out when the first northbound train went past otherwise it would have hit it.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Return to “Real World Railways”