HST formations and liveries from 1991 to privatisation

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Ken Shabby

HST formations and liveries from 1991 to privatisation

Postby Ken Shabby » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:07 pm

I never thought it would happen, but i've just bought a couple of Lima HST power cars, which are in intercity Swallow livery.
I'm trying to firstly find out if I can run these power cars with Mk3 coaches in the earlier mid 80's intercity livery which has 'iNTERCITY; in the earlier font, and secondly some information about a correct reasonably short HST train formation. My platforms will take the 2 power cars and just about 5 full length MK3 coaches. I have no coaches at the moment so my son has loaned me some of the short Hornby ones.
Although my layout is Southern , the idea is the HST is a daily cross country service from the north., I am of course aware HST rarely , If ever visited the Southern
Kind regards, Ken

pete12345

Re: HST formations and liveries from 1991 to privatisation

Postby pete12345 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:34 pm

There will inevitably have been some crossover during livery transitions. I've seen pictures of intercity power cars hauling blue/grey coaches, so your scenario sounds plausible enough. For a 5-coach train, PC-1st-buffet-2nd-2nd-2nd-PC would be a reasonable formation I think.

The HST is an ideal candidate for equipping with close couplings such as those manufactured by Keen Systems. Really improves the look of the train and with a fixed set such as this there's no concern about compatibility.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Return to “Real World Railways”