British Railways in 1948

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
rogerfarnworth

British Railways in 1948

Postby rogerfarnworth » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:23 pm

I have recently purchased the six copies of The Railway Magazine which were issued in 1948. The first of these coincides with the formation of British Railways, and the January/February 1948 issue of the magazine highlights for the readers a little of the history of railways in Britain which led up to that momentous occasion. The linked article below builds on the article in The Railway Magazine.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/12/09/br ... lways-1948

A copy of the article is reproduced in Appendix 1 to this article.

The Railway Magazine was not alone in seeing the 1st January 1948 as a significant landmark in railway history. The Guardian carried an article on 30th December 1947 which said: "Of all the landmarks in Britain's railway history, January 1 1948 will probably be outstanding. It is over a hundred years since railway nationalisation was first advocated. Since then enthusiasts for State ownership have never ceased to proclaim the benefits to be obtained, though in 1867 Sir Rowland Hill in a minority report as a member of a Royal Commission on Railways gave a warning of the "undue enlargement of expectation". The clamour became louder towards the end of last century when the trade unions took it up strongly and after the first world war nationalisation nearly became a fact. Since then the pressure has continued to grow, culminating in the Transport Act of last August which provided for the transfer of the railways to the State on January 1. Thus after more than a century of controversy the decision has been taken."

Byegad

Re: British Railways in 1948

Postby Byegad » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:09 am

My late mother worked as a goods booking clerk in Middlesbrough from 1938 to 1951. She once told me that at midnight on 31/12/47 all of the locos in the area blew their whistles for several minutes, to welcome BR into existence. Those were the days when public ownership was seen as a Good Thing!

rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:06 pm

Yes, I have hard a similar story from elsewhere!☺️

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:45 pm

I think they probably only had to give an extra long whistle, as it was quite common practice for all of the locos on shed with enough steam in the boiler to sound off at 23:59:59 on New Years Eve every year. It often required every one on the night shift to take a loco apiece, even if normally they wouldn't be allowed on a loco in steam. Id always lived within a mile, or just over, of Bescot Sheds and any New Years Eve celebrations were punctuated by the Bescot hooters, joined in with by the various factories which had their own hooters (something akin to the type used on ships) for summoning their workforce.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:20 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I think they probably only had to give an extra long whistle, as it was quite common practice for all of the locos on shed with enough steam in the boiler to sound off at 23:59:59 on New Years Eve every year. It often required every one on the night shift to take a loco apiece, even if normally they wouldn't be allowed on a loco in steam. Id always lived within a mile, or just over, of Bescot Sheds and any New Years Eve celebrations were punctuated by the Bescot hooters, joined in with by the various factories which had their own hooters (something akin to the type used on ships) for summoning their workforce.

We were used to the locos and Steel works doing that every New Year. Mam however remembered the 1947 into 1948 sounds as special and extensive.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Byegad wrote:My late mother worked as a goods booking clerk in Middlesbrough from 1938 to 1951. She once told me that at midnight on 31/12/47 all of the locos in the area blew their whistles for several minutes, to welcome BR into existence. Those were the days when public ownership was seen as a Good Thing!

Not only in Middlesborough ---

https://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/artic ... -railways/

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:27 am

glencairn wrote:
Byegad wrote:My late mother worked as a goods booking clerk in Middlesbrough from 1938 to 1951. She once told me that at midnight on 31/12/47 all of the locos in the area blew their whistles for several minutes, to welcome BR into existence. Those were the days when public ownership was seen as a Good Thing!

Glencairn

Engage pedant mode.....
Middlesbrough not Borough.

Pedant mode off.....
:D

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:14 am

Byegad wrote:]

Glencairn

Engage pedant mode.....

Pedant mode off.....
:D[/quote]

:oops: A senior moment! (From a 'lad born in Yorkshire' to boot :oops: )

Glencairn

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Byegad wrote:...Those were the days when public ownership was seen as a Good Thing!

And from today's result, no longer significantly regarded as such sufficiently to influence the election outcome to any extent.

Someone buy JC a compensatory trainset, which he can nationalise to his heart's content...

Kindling

Postby Kindling » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:29 pm

Bufferstop wrote:..... joined in with by the various factories which had their own hooters (something akin to the type used on ships) for summoning their workforce.

Bulls!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:13 pm

Ah someone else who knows what a Bull is!
There were three audible from where I lived until I was 10. So was the crowd at the Saddlers and the shunting down at Bescot.

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:37 am

glencairn wrote:
Byegad wrote:]

Glencairn

Engage pedant mode.....

Pedant mode off.....
:D

:oops: A senior moment! (From a 'lad born in Yorkshire' to boot :oops: )

Glencairn[/quote]

Oh the shame! I could have played for Yorkshire, but couldn't bowl, hit a moving ball or catch.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:11 am

The only recognition I have of the Nationalisation was walking home from school and seeing locos on the Bescot-Walsall line with LMS on their tenders and tank sides, so that must have been late 1949-50, shows how long it took to re-brand them all.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:11 am

The only recollection I have of the Nationalisation was walking home from school and seeing locos on the Bescot-Walsall line with LMS on their tenders and tank sides, so that must have been late 1949-50, shows how long it took to re-brand them all.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:45 am

Bufferstop wrote:The only recollection I have of the Nationalisation was walking home from school and seeing locos on the Bescot-Walsall line with LMS on their tenders and tank sides, so that must have been late 1949-50, shows how long it took to re-brand them all.

I remember (it must have been 1952) visiting family in Shankhouse, near Blyth, Northumberland, seeing very old looking coal wagons with NER on the side. The 0.6.0 tender engine was black in colour with no lettering on it. (Don't ask what Class of engine it was. I only knew there were 'big' engines and 'small engines :lol: )

The whole scene looked dilapidated; what with the old wagons, the long overgrown grass the train looked to be running through.

The track must have been worse for wear, because a wagon derailed. It must have been a regular occurrence, has the Fireman immediately climbed down from the engine and lifted (yes lifted) the errant wagon back on to the track. No 'elf'n'safety required.

Shortly afterwards the line closed. (Well before Dr Beeching)

Perhaps seeing scenes like this have 'stuck in my mind' and a railway is not all 'prim and proper'.

Glencairn

Return to “Real World Railways”