Overall roofs on a through station?

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Jkelly

Overall roofs on a through station?

Postby Jkelly » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:35 pm

Hi all, just musing something over for a new layout of mine - is there/has there ever been a through station with an overall roof on it? If so, what was its name so I can research it more?
Cheers

Bufferstop

Re: Overall roofs on a through station?

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:24 pm

There still are, in fact most of the big overall roofs are through stations. In the big league it's the London terminii that aren't. Manchester and Bristol both have half and half terminal and through platforms, Birmingham pre WW2 had two large roofs, on the ECML there's York and Newcastle which both have large overall roofs, and on a curve just to make them interesting. On the west coast there's Carlisle, Glasgow is a terminus, it's through platforms are on a low level line at rightangles to the terminal roads above, and Edinburgh has through platforms with bays facing both directions. Plenty to go at there!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:10 am

From memory and without checking, I'm reasonably certain that Peterborough North, Derby Midland and Leicester London Road had overall roofs at one time, and Rugby, Preston and Darlington also had one and maybe still do. Nottingham Victoria I'm pretty certain also had one.

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:54 am

It depends on your chosen company. If it's GWR then you're spoilt for choice. On the main lines Banbury and Leamington Spa had them and there were a few local lines with them, Wells among them if I remember, all timber built and potentially of absorbing interest as construction projects.

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:57 am

The North Eastern used overall rooves or train sheds on secondary stations; off the top of my head, Beverley, Filey and Pickering all in existence, although the latter is a rebuild

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:09 am

Darlington too.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:40 am

Jkelly wrote:Hi all, just musing something over for a new layout of mine - is there/has there ever been a through station with an overall roof on it? If so, what was its name so I can research it more?

As already mentioned, the runaway winner for overall roofs on through stations small enough to be readily modelled was the North Eastern Railway. Knock yourself out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... ailway_(UK)_stations

Jkelly

Postby Jkelly » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies, plenty of research to ensue! Actually, my new model railway (12x4ft) is going to be LMS/LNER based, so the prototypes eg. Beverley are quite useful and justify having a roof on just a two track main line, which gives me space for a turntable :D

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:09 pm

Huddersfield, Blackburn and Manchester Victoria had/have roofs over the platforms and tracks, though in the latter case it was extensively remodelled to make way for the M.E.N. Arena (as it was at the time).
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 pm

I am glad you raised the topic. As a desert dweller I had completely forgotten to give my OO British Subjects a bit of shelter. I shall be also following the idea, as well. Thank you.
Bluebonnet station 006.JPG
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Return to “Real World Railways”