Preserving 'lost causes'?

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
glencairn

Preserving 'lost causes'?

Postby glencairn » Fri May 24, 2019 8:41 pm

Now before you shoot me down in flames, do not get me wrong, to me if a vehicle needs preserving and people are prepared and willing to preserve it, all well and done. I do help to preserve railwayana, trams, buses etc.

Today (24th May2019) I visited Wensleydale Railway at Leeming Bar Station. A lovely railway in almost every sense and well worth a visit.

Lurking at the side of the engine shed was a 9F locomotive. Number 92219.

92219 was sold to Woodham Bros for scrap and was moved to their scrapyard at Barry in October 1965. The locomotive was purchased for preservation minus its tender by the same group who purchased and restored 92214 and moved to Buxton Peak Rail in May 1985 after 19 years 7 months. It was then moved at the same time as the then partially restored 92214 to the Midland Railway - Butterley. It was the 163rd locomotive to leave Barry.

The locomotive received some cosmetic attention on arriving at Butterley in 1989. However, due to the lack of many significant components such as the connecting rods, motion, and the tender, the locomotive remained largely in ex-Barry condition, stored in the open air at Swanwick Junction, adjacent to the Exhibition Hall.

In October 2012 the locomotive was purchased by Graham and Phil Harris, and moved to Kirkby Stephen East. Volunteers at the Stainmore Railway Company's site hoped to restore it,[speculation?] but following a disagreement between the owners and Stainmore Railway Company 92219 moved with some other rolling stock to the Wensleydale Railway in April 2014 where the locomotive has got a long lasting future.

It is 2019. That future, to me, looks bleak.

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

Is it time to 'call time' or would you persevere, even though the volunteers are not really willing?

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Preserving 'lost causes'?

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:55 pm

Never say never, just look what's happening to 35011, still in ex-Barry condition but finally an enthusiastic bunch have got behind it and making a real go of not just restoring it, but backdating it to original condition.
Given that these days we can build steam locomotives from scratch again, it doesn't really matter what bits are missing, anything missing can be replaced.
Just needs the right group of people with the necessary finance and facilities and there's nothing to stop it steaming again.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 pm

There is nothing that can't be fixed it's just how much of it you have to replace.

Anyone who has restored something will know it can take years to track down the right parts. It took me nearly ten years of looking to find a rear mudguard for one of my bikes (one year only part)....might be "on" to a set of the correct handlebars for another after a similar period of hunting.

Anything can be done if there is enough enthusiasm there.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat May 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Casting new con rods isn't a big deal to the right people who make things like that. A friend of mine has his own steam loco and the con rods were missing. He was going to get new ones made. However, a miracle took place while he was visiting another heritage line where someone had purchased a lot of GWR con rods for their locos and one pair happened to be different. Not only different, but just to happened to be the origional pair for his loco! The chances of that...!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun May 26, 2019 1:44 pm

Connecting rods and other pieces of a locomotive motion are not cast, they are drop forged in order to achieve the necessary strength. Not cheap, the motion for P2 new build "Prince of Wales" is costing £220,000 with Stephenson Engineering Ltd of Atherton, Manchester doing the work.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun May 26, 2019 3:07 pm

I think people are missing my point.

As I have mentioned previously, I do help to preserve railwayana, trams and buses etc.. I know preservation is not easy and can be expensive.

What I find with 9F 92219 is that no matter where it is ( and it has been at a few different sites) nobody wishes to do any work on it (to preserve it). When I asked the staff at Wensleydale Railway why they got the locomotive ; and when do they intend working on it? The reply to both questions was 'a shrug of the shoulders'.

To me this locomotive has become a 'lost cause'

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon May 27, 2019 9:37 am

There's a problem with 9Fs. Cannot run on the national network due to the flangeless centre driver. I would imagine that will deter many wanting to work on restoring a larger main line loco, and thus who might have pitched in; to instead choose to work on a different loco for which main line running is possible?

Lots of useful spares on it for the day when a working 9F cracks a wheel centre, etc.

Return to “Real World Railways”