Railway Mania Podcast Ep.21 - Narrow Gauge, Not Narrow Minded (with Ben Powell and Rob Rossington)

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Corbs

Railway Mania Podcast Ep.21 - Narrow Gauge, Not Narrow Minded (with Ben Powell and Rob Rossington)

Postby Corbs » Thu May 09, 2019 8:45 pm

Hello fellow railway modellers!

I would like to share this new project of mine with you. It is a podcast called RAILWAY MANIA. The aim is to give you regular episodes all about everything to do with all railways, including railway modelling.

Railway Mania Thumbnail SMALL 2a.jpg
Railway Mania Thumbnail SMALL 2a.jpg (69.02 KiB) Viewed 3125 times

The first episode is a bite sized snippet of history, looking at the real 'Railway Mania' in the 1840s, It's around 12 minutes long.

RMPod-Ep1-SMALLHeader1a.jpg
RMPod-Ep1-SMALLHeader1a.jpg (146.25 KiB) Viewed 3125 times

Eventually I hope that this podcast can be an entertaining thing to listen to while you model :)

Click here to listen to it on AudioBoom (where you can also subscribe to it on the podcast app on your phone)
https://audioboom.com/posts/7252153-railway-mania

Alternatively, you can follow this link to go to the channel on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDKWSF ... MjZix6yRGw

Thank you!
Last edited by Corbs on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:58 am, edited 15 times in total.

Corbs

Re: RAILWAY MANIA - Podcast for Railway Enthusiasts

Postby Corbs » Mon May 13, 2019 11:25 pm

Woo! The podcast was approved by Apple podcasts, so if you have an iPhone and use the Podcast App, you can search for Railway Mania and it will appear :)

Meanwhile, things are getting a little... bendy as episode 2 focuses on the dawn of articulated locomotives and two types in particular - the Meyer and the Fairlie.

Click HERE to listen to the episode on Audioboom:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7258577-fairlie-good-idea

Alternatively click HERE to access the YouTube version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFw6VcXCgTA

RMPod-Ep2-SMALLHeader1c.jpg
RMPod-Ep2-SMALLHeader1c.jpg (59.34 KiB) Viewed 3098 times

Corbs

Postby Corbs » Tue May 21, 2019 7:45 pm

'evenin all

In between podcast releases I'd like to fill up the gaps with more videos.This one's actually a re-release but I hope if you haven't seen it before, you enjoy it! It's from back in 2014 at The Great Goodbye in Shildon.

I mixed a bit of classical music in with Joe Duddington's retelling of the steam speed record attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FcSDWCaFVw

Mallard75-thumb-1b SMALL.jpg
Last edited by Corbs on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Corbs

Postby Corbs » Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 am

Episode 3 of Railway Mania features an interview with Pat James, who came in to the hobby as an adult without having had a model railway as a child. The second half focuses on the challenge of coming out to your friends and family as a railway enthusiast, and why some people find it hard to do so.

Click here to listen to Episode 3 on Audioboom:
https://audioboom.com/posts/7272061-coming-in-coming-out-with-pat-james

Here's the link to Episode 3 on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tDoE7RDgGY

Corbs

Postby Corbs » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:20 pm

Episode 4 is out now!

WAR. Conflict is at the heart of this episode, which focuses on the US Army Transportation Corps and the War Department's railways during the build up to the invasion of Normandy in 1944, and the challenge of how to land hundreds of trains in hostile territory, ready to roll.

Click HERE to listen to Episode 4 on Audioboom

https://audioboom.com/posts/7295838-the-longest-day-return

Click HERE to watch Episode 4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K72LCi336tM

For the first time I have added imagery to the YouTube version as a visual aid for those who prefer watching on that channel.

RMPod-Ep4-SMALLHeader1b.jpg
RMPod-Ep4-SMALLHeader1b.jpg (120.68 KiB) Viewed 2909 times

Corbs

Re: RAILWAY MANIA Podcast - Ep.4 'The Longest Day Return - Railroads to Victory in WW2'

Postby Corbs » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:50 pm

As a little additional bit of content, I managed to film some of the final steam specials on the District Line last Saturday, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziq-JDP2jLc

District 150 YT Thumb 1 SMALL.jpg

Corbs

Re: RAILWAY MANIA Ep.5 - 'Edward Thompson, Hero or Villain? (with Simon A.C. Martin)'

Postby Corbs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:04 am

Episode 5

Edward Thompson, Hero or Villain?

Every story from history has its 'goodies' and 'baddies', but how much of our perception of these events is influenced by the storytellers? Today I'm joined by Simon A.C. Martin, who is working on a book about the engineer Edward Thompson, who took over from Sir Nigel Gresley as Chief Mechanical Engineer on the London and North Eastern Railway at the height of World War Two. Thompson has often been criticised for his designs and decisions, but how much of this is justified? Simon is looking to set the record straight using contemporary reference material.

Click HERE for Audioboom link
https://audioboom.com/posts/7304683-edward-thompson-hero-or-villain-with-simon-a-c-martin

Click HERE for YouTube (has the added extra of images to show what we're talking about)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsY6AW5Ts08&feature=youtu.be

Bigmet

Re: RAILWAY MANIA Ep.5 - 'Edward Thompson, Hero or Villain? (with Simon A.C. Martin)'

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:49 am

Oh dear SACM obsessively banging the drum again. ET was an engineer to whom neither of the opposed labels apply, and there is a very good book by Peter Grafton - who had direct access to many of ET's colleagues - which presents a well balanced account of the work he accomplished. In short, a very capable administrator, modest engineering ability compared to typical contemporary CME's. But I suppose that what with a series title of 'Mania', something suggesting high histrionics was required...

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:21 pm

I haven't listened to the podcast but from what I've seen elsewhere, Simon doesn't set out to prove Thompson is a hero at all, merely that he has been unfairly judged and wasn't a villain.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Corbs

Postby Corbs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Bigmet wrote:Oh dear SACM obsessively banging the drum again. ET was an engineer to whom neither of the opposed labels apply, and there is a very good book by Peter Grafton - who had direct access to many of ET's colleagues - which presents a well balanced account of the work he accomplished. In short, a very capable administrator, modest engineering ability compared to typical contemporary CME's. But I suppose that what with a series title of 'Mania', something suggesting high histrionics was required...

Maybe I am guilty of courting controversy with that title :D

Did you give the podcast a listen? From memory I believe Simon refers to Grafton's book. I think it's more the picture that authors like Colonel Rogers paint of ET that Simon is seeking to challenge.

Corbs

Postby Corbs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:48 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:I haven't listened to the podcast but from what I've seen elsewhere, Simon doesn't set out to prove Thompson is a hero at all, merely that he has been unfairly judged and wasn't a villain.

Give it a go, you might enjoy it!

By the way, thank you both for commenting on the thread, it was awfully quiet :wink:

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Corbs wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:I haven't listened to the podcast but from what I've seen elsewhere, Simon doesn't set out to prove Thompson is a hero at all, merely that he has been unfairly judged and wasn't a villain.

Give it a go, you might enjoy it!

By the way, thank you both for commenting on the thread, it was awfully quiet :wink:

It's on my list for quieter times! :)

Corbs wrote:
Maybe I am guilty of courting controversy with that title :D

Did you give the podcast a listen? From memory I believe Simon refers to Grafton's book. I think it's more the picture that authors like Colonel Rogers paint of ET that Simon is seeking to challenge.

I've certainly see him refer to Grafton's book (also on my list for quieter times!) Along with accounts from Dick Hardy and original LNER maintenance, availability and mileage records, so whatever you think about the way he goes about things, you can't really argue that it's not evidence-based.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:23 am

Corbs wrote:...Did you give the podcast a listen? ...

Of course not, too much to do, too little time; and having read Grafton and others such as Townend, Harvey and Hardy - and spoken to some of these - who were there, and know what they are writing and talking about, I have the information.

Corbs wrote:...Maybe I am guilty of courting controversy with that title. From memory I believe Simon refers to Grafton's book. I think it's more the picture that authors like Colonel Rogers paint of ET that Simon is seeking to challenge.

Sadly, the picture Rogers' paints is pretty much correct as regards loco design. Thompson's major and undoubted success was the B1, a good synthesis of proven components that made a successful machine, and Rogers' gave this full credit. The continuation of what was an established process of upgrading the O4 was a success. Everything else, mediocre to poor: on the evidence of subsequent performance. Just try DW 'Bill' Harvey on the L1. It's damning. Peppercorn was subsequently able to pick up the wide firebox programme on Thompson's departure, and to rearrange the layout into a pair of very successful classes 'just like that'. This was made possible by eliminating the very weak frame layouts Thompson insisted on, which his own design staff appointees had already made a start on redrafting behind his back, so they were ready to hand when Thompson departed...

Thompson's undoubted strength was administration; he was a class act in this field and had he focussed all his effort there then he would be seen very differently. But he wanted to be a designing CME, which was not his strength. He's right up there with Scott of the Antarctic, boldly going where he had insufficient ability...

Corbs

Postby Corbs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:31 pm

That's a shame, because I felt that it was more balanced than what you've assumed based on the tongue-in-cheek title.

I'm not going to defend Thompson or his locos, because I don't feel strongly either way (or indeed know enough about the subject), but I felt that what Simon had to say and the information he presents was interesting and worthy of an episode.

I feel that Simon's point is not so much 'Thompsons designs and engineering decisions were superior' but is rather about looking critically at some of the accusations laid against Thompson (both as a person and as an engineer), looking in to why Thompson made the choices he did, and the conditions of the time, for example, changes in manufacturing methods due to wartime pressure.
There may be preference and bias but IMO no more than any author has.

*To clarify something, the two quotes from Rogers that appear in the podcast are not so much to do with loco design itself but are rather sweeping statements.

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:36 am

Thank you for this, I would never have located it on my own. Will enjoy hearing it as I catch up on some MR projects. That
commuter locomotive: what a beautiful piece of engineering and artwork.
Nessie rocks!

Return to “Real World Railways”