Class 128 DPU and coaches

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
matt1471

Class 128 DPU and coaches

Postby matt1471 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi,

Would a Class 128 DPU regularly haul a rake of coaches, specifically and postal train?

Thanks
Matt

SRman

Re: Class 128 DPU and coaches

Postby SRman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:17 pm

No, not what you would call a rake, anyway. They could haul a tail load, but usually limited to no more than two coaches or wagons. The coaches would most likely be parcels vehicles, i.e. non-passenger carrying coaching stock (NPCCS).

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:56 pm

It was surprising what those old DMU classes could shift, during a major power failure at New Street in the early seventies there was a 4 car emu loaded to the roof blocking the exit for various DMUs. The 2 car one behind it was going to follow it, those further back weren't. They checked to make sure the emu's brakes were off then with just it's two engines it pushed the heavily laden 4 coaches, and dragged it's own trailer out through the tunnel to where the overhead was live. The noise and the clag were horrific, but it meant another three trains could get out. They'd kept on squeezing them into the long centre platform so that people wouldn't be stuck in the tunnel, the one at the back could only get its first set of doors up to the platform but everyone got out through it. They may have deliberately restricted the DPU to two coaches or vans, but I'll bet that it could shove another two if it had to.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:24 am

Thanks for the response guys.

It would have been for 4x parcels coaches, but by the sound of it, it wouldn't have happened in the real world.

I'll Keep my DPU up for sale.

SRman

Postby SRman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:09 am

Two things, Matt:

1. It's your layout, and if you want to haul four coaches with your DPU, then go ahead. My friend Rick (gwiwer on a couple of other forums) tested his Heljan model and it hauled 36 coaches, including over his gradients and tight curves ... the Heljan unit is way over-powered compared to the real ones! :D

2. The real class 128s did have two of the more powerful BUT (Albion) engines on board with 230 hp each (total 460 hp), which meant that they were capable of hauling a decent weight of tail load. Most of the so-called lightweight DMUs had two 150 hp engines (so only 300 hp on board), and that was usually for a two car unit. DMUs for hilly routes had power twins or three car units with two powered driving cars for a total of 600 hp, and a few had Rolls Royce engines (like Hornby's class 110 units) with 180 hp motors (total 360 hp per Driving Motor, 720 hp for a 3-car unit). Of course, there were so many different DMU types that I have only scratched the surface here, but suffice it to say, the Gloucester DPUs had a very good power to weight ratio on their own, and were capable of hauling heavier loads than the "standard" DMUs.

Return to “Real World Railways”