King's Lynn

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
rogerfarnworth

King's Lynn

Postby rogerfarnworth » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:21 pm

I was 12 years old when we moved to King's Lynn in 1972 and we stayed there right through my teens until I left home for University in 1978. I have long thought about spending a little time reviewing the railway history of the town. This first post covers King's Lynn Harbour Branch which left the mainline just before that line entered the town in South Lynn

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2018/09/16/ki ... our-branch

Mountain

Re: King's Lynn

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Is interesting to look at old pictures and one realizes how prosperous Britain used to be. Its a real shame we dont have the prospects to find full time jobs like there once were. I have to say that in my area I've not seen full time work in anything other then the medical field for a long time.
I love the swing bridge. There used to be quite popular at one time. Though not the same, not too far from here there used to be a hydraulic lifting bridge which used to rely on the tide to compress a large hydraulic chamber mounted in a tower which would be used to lift the bridge when needed. The tower still remains and is a listed building but the bridge itself wasn't listed as was removed by the local council ready for redevelopment which closed the dock from being used as made them into an inland lake. The controlling signal box to the tower and the railway wasn't listed either and was also removed which is a bit of a shame. It was still there in the 1990's.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:24 am

Those full time jobs were at the will of the employer, Mountain, there was no protection other than if you got sent away from one job you could usually find another. Try reading up about dockers in the 50s and 60s, things were pretty hard, especially when your face didn't fit!

It was all about prosperity for the owners of the factories, not for the workers who lived in appalling conditions by today's standards, had no protection if unemployed, got paid peanuts and health and safety was non existent... It's all very good looking back with rose tinted glasses but reality for most people was pretty poor. I'd rather live now than then.

Strangely, though, I think we are less likely to move to find a job now than we were back then, perhaps because of benefits? Many people expect the jobs to come to them rather than them go to the jobs... I've just been doing SWMHO's family tree and her great grandfather moved from Stourbridge to Hanley then to Ancoats and finally to Leith to follow the work (glass making) which would be some move even now but this was in the 1860s and 70s and he had a wife and 6 kids in tow! I think the working class back in the olden days was a much hardier bunch than they are now!

Sorry for the thread drift, Roger!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:25 am

Coincidentally I am heading for Kings Lynn tomorrow on business to do an audit of one of our suppliers, might have some time to have a look around. I notice there are some freight sidings just to the north of the station, do they see much traffic?

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Posted while sitting in The Maids Head supping Timothy Taylor’s after visiting the station and model shop. Sometimes business travel isn’t that bad after all :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:45 pm

The CAMRA Guide and UKModelshops directory on your smartphone, essential business travel equipment! :D
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:07 pm

The harbour branch left the mainline South of King's Lynn. The docks branch left the mainline close to King's Lynn Station. The post below includes a very short history of the harbour and docks and then covers the length of the branch from the station to John Kennedy Road.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2018/09/24/ki ... nch-part-1

rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:16 pm

The second part of a study on the Docks Branch in King's Lynn. ......

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2018/09/24/ki ... nch-part-2

This post covers the area around the Alexandra Dock. A further post will follow to cover the railways around the Bentinck Dock.

rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:14 am

This is the third and final post about the Docks Railway in King's Lynn.

https://rogerfarnworth.com/2018/10/07/k ... nch-part-3

The post covers the area around Bentinck Dock and has some detail about the Savage's Works on the East side of the dock. Savage's were internationally renowned for their steam-powered fairground attractions.

rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:50 pm

A few random bits and pieces which relate to the docks railways in King's Lynn ....

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2018/11/06/ki ... cellaneous

Chops

Postby Chops » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:15 am

Very interesting thread.
I don't care what they say. I believe in Nessie.

Return to “Real World Railways”