11 Aug 2018 it was Fifty Years Ago today

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Bufferstop

11 Aug 2018 it was Fifty Years Ago today

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:57 pm

That BR put on a special last ever train pulled by steam. A celebratory tour to mark the half century planned many months ago to run behind Tornado it was still quite a good day. The loss of Tornado due to the need for some testing which can't happen until fire restriction is lifted, John Cammeron supplied his A4 No 9 Union of South Africa, making one of its last runs before going into store. Not only did he supply it, he came along on the footplate. A fitting finale to his 50 year ownership of the A4. Pulled from Bristol by a Class 67, with the help of a 66 up Lickey we headed North to Preston where it was replaced by No9 and another 66 to help avoid bits of the fire getting thrown out of its chimney. We stormed Shap and stopped for water in Upperby yard which meant we could turn South for Appleby without having to reverse in Carlisle. Meanwhile Galatea was following us with an excursion from Euston to Carlisle, which we would see again shortly.
We headed south to Appleby passing 6233 Duchess of Sutherland coming from York with yet another train for Carlisle. At Appleby we all detrained so that the two locos and thirteen coaches could setback into the sidings, to allow Galatea (now turned and pointing south) to take on water at the Appleby water crane. After a decent interval we followed south through Settle and Blackburn to rejoin the WCML at Euxton junction. Somewhere on this leg John C left his loco in the charge of the crew, having established his and No9's part in the 50th anniversary celebration. Whilst laid over at Crewe to take off the A4, photographs were taken of the three passengers who fifty years ago had been on the fifteen Guinea special, one of them even producing his ticket from that trip. I hope watching from somewhere there's still a beancounter from 1968 who thought they could banish steam from the network.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

luckymucklebackit

Re: 11 Aug 2018 it was Fifty Years Ago today

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:09 pm

...and meanwhile in Scotland, on the 11th of August, 44871 quietly marked the 50th Anniversary with a run from Fort William to Boness, complete with 1T51 home made headboard, some photos below (not mine), before setting off on a trip round Fife and off up to Tweedbank (over the line closed by the same beancounters)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126612220@N04/43076801825/in/dateposted/

And just to really rub it in to those beancounters 45212 and 45407 (running as 45157) were working the Jacobites between Fort William and Mallaig

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Real World Railways”