MOD Kineton and its Railway History

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
rogerfarnworth

MOD Kineton and its Railway History

Postby rogerfarnworth » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:36 pm

I was challenged to look at MOD Kineton by someone who read my blog on Bicester Military Railway. This post is the result. ....

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/20 ... ay-history

MOD Kineton developed as a depot in the Second World War. Construction began in 1941 and the depot came to occupy most of the land between Kineton and Temple Herdwyke. It was a Central Ammunition Depot, it also served during the war as a transit camp, with Polish and Czechoslovakian troops based there.

The site continues in use into 21st Century. Much of the original railway and sidings at MOD Kineton has been removed but the depot continues to be rail-served and to have a significant internal rail network.

Bufferstop

Re: MOD Kineton and its Railway History

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Hi Roger, MOD Kineton is "just down the road" from me. There will be a big gap in photographic records of the place, as for a time photography anywhere in the vicinity was actively discouraged. Up until about ten years ago there was a big blank area on maps, and the very first Google Earth images of the area had been deliberately defocussed. I'll leave you to work out for yourself the type of weapons that were being stored there at that time. The loops and twirls of the trackwork are a deliberate precautionary feature. Once a load is drawn out from one of the bunkers it travels around the loops well away from the other bunkers until it reaches its destination and then goes directly in, no reversing or shunting back and forth being done, just in case.....
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

rogerfarnworth

Postby rogerfarnworth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 am

Bufferstop wrote:Hi Roger, MOD Kineton is "just down the road" from me. There will be a big gap in photographic records of the place, as for a time photography anywhere in the vicinity was actively discouraged. Up until about ten years ago there was a big blank area on maps, and the very first Google Earth images of the area had been deliberately defocussed. I'll leave you to work out for yourself the type of weapons that were being stored there at that time. The loops and twirls of the trackwork are a deliberate precautionary feature. Once a load is drawn out from one of the bunkers it travels around the loops well away from the other bunkers until it reaches its destination and then goes directly in, no reversing or shunting back and forth being done, just in case.....

Interesting! I knew nothing about the site until I started looking into it a few days ago.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:13 am

From what i have read there was no fissionable material stored routinely at Kineton. The bunkers however did store nuclear tipped tank shells at one time. There was an on-line Ministry of Defence document that made reference to: "Kineton Station Standing Operating Procedure No73, Contingency Plans for Accidents Involving Ammunition containing Depleted Uranium - dated September 2000."
Kineton was also used as a secure stop off for the convoys heading for Coulport but even that has been stopped.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:30 pm

They dont store chemical and nuclear weapons in "Official" sites for security reasons, neither do they store them away from public areas as that would be too obvious.
I think any country would do the same.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:50 pm

It has been used as an overnight stop for the royal train from time to time, easy to secure, and the never used "Night Star" coaches were hidden there for a while in an attempt to avoid embarrassment. The tracks cross the B-roads in a couple of places, it's not unusual to get flagged to stop while one of the small shunters propels a couple of wagons down the line. The locos are always "bulled up to the nines" wheel rims, rods and handrails all picked out in different colours. At least two men to guard the crossing, one riding the steps and the driver seems to be the normal crew.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Real World Railways”