MOD Ashchurch and Ashchurch Railway Station

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
rogerfarnworth

MOD Ashchurch and Ashchurch Railway Station

Postby rogerfarnworth » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:21 pm

I was reading a book by Neil Parkhouse and looking at a series of photographs of the historic station at Ashchurch which was demolished as part of the fall out from the cuts associated with Dr. Breeching. Apart from feeling a sense of dismay that the original station and its building, together with the branch-lines it served, has been lost for ever, I noticed a reference to a siding serving MOD Ashchurch and decided to investigate.

DE&S Ashchurch, known locally as "Ashchurch Camp", was the UK MOD's primary vehicle storage and distribution site for all types of armoured and soft-skinned vehicles, together with Royal Engineer bridges, boats and construction plant. The Centre was the only vehicle depot in the UK using Controlled Humidity Environments (CHE) for long-term vehicle storage.

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/20 ... ay-station

MOD Ashchurch remains at risk of closure and its site is marked in the local authority plan for mixed development.

Mountain

Re: MOD Ashchurch and Ashchurch Railway Station

Postby Mountain » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:32 am

Old MOD sites make very interesting layout ideasand often mix narrow and standard gauges.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:58 am

Ashchurch station is now operating as a "Parkway". Not sure whether they have renamed it as such. It's about 1/4 mile east of M5 Jct9 on the A46. The business park is quite eclectic it's home to Dowty pit props and Moog synthesizers amongst others. The MOD site, though much reduced, is still a considerable size and receives, cleans up, then stores an interesting collection of vehicles and plant. Anyone for an armoured bulldozer?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:50 am

I've not seen anything go into the place for ages, there's been the odd yellow track maintenance stuff parked up in that loop but that's been about it.

The station is called "Ashchurch for Tewkesbury", Bufferstop, I believe there's a connecting bus service to Tewkesbury, XC and GWR trains call at it.
Last edited by b308 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:27 pm

So much of the MOD stuff would be out of gauge without special wagons it's easier to get Alellys or the like to shift it by road. A friend was an armourer. He says that during Railtrack's time in control they lost so much gauging info that almost every movement needed a gauging run so they gave up.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:47 pm

So even the MOD use a replacement bus service!
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:00 am

Mountain wrote:So even the MOD use a replacement bus service!

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Real World Railways”