The last slipcoach service

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
GWR_fan

The last slipcoach service

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:17 am

TimberSurf

Re: The last slipcoach service

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:25 am

Never actually seen one working, only heard about it, very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Stufiley

Postby Stufiley » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:19 am

Thank you, great find, never seen slips working before, only see pictures.
Please have a look at my website, like my railway I doubt i'll finish it!
http://thesouthcoastrailway.weebly.com
and a few pictures and videos of 12" to the Foot Scale!:
http://stusrailwayguides.weebly.com

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:06 am

Great stuff.
Thanks GWR_fan. :)
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:38 am

Thanks for sharing that Tim. I really enjoyed it. "British eccentricity". :o :lol:

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:43 am

Keiron,
the service would seem very railway labour intensive considering the possible saving in travel time and the effect on the timetable. Perhaps from an era when total elapsed time of the whole route was more important than actual slipcoach passenger inconvenience. Also, the inconvenience imposed on the "trapped" passengers, unable to leave the carriage enroute.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:59 am

Not to mention that your 21st century Safety Regulations would never allow an un-powered vehicle with passengers locked inside to roll along a main route in the same signalling section as the main train, even writing that down seems crazy!!
Were there ever any recorded accidents involving Slip coaches??

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Plenty of incidents of them stopping short or over running the platforms, but from what I can find out, no accidents. Things like that seems thwart with danger, but if everybody involved is paying attention, then its perfectly safe.
I seem to remember some preserved railway doing demo slip coach runs, but I can't be sure about it.
Last edited by D605Eagle on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:22 pm

The nearest equivalent today would be hanging a single or two car DMU on the back of another service, and splitting them at one of the stops.When our London service was provided by Thames Valley it hitched a lift on the rear of a train waiting at Oxford, saving a path through the approaches to Paddington. As far as I could work out though they came out from Paddington separately.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:35 pm

It's a great shame that no-one has yet made a set of resin parts to convert one of the r-t-r GWR coaches to a slip coach. Awash with compromise obviously, but it would result in a nice model nevertheless. I must check to see whether Comer does overlays.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

StoneRoad

Postby StoneRoad » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:10 pm

Bump this slightly to say that the Ravenglass & Eskdale used to have a "slip coach" to drop off at Muncaster Mill during gala events.
The slip guard would, after disconnecting the air brake pipes, pull out a specially adapted and red-painted coupling pin, which was waved above the head for the driver and train guard to observe. Once passengers had disembarked, the coach was hand shunted into the station siding and collected "later". Not sure how that last bit was done, as I was on the train the first time and on the only other occasion I witnessed slip-working, I had left for home almost immediately after helping with the shunt.
Saluton. mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?
visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album
to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Lysander wrote:It's a great shame that no-one has yet made a set of resin parts to convert one of the r-t-r GWR coaches to a slip coach. Awash with compromise obviously, but it would result in a nice model nevertheless. I must check to see whether Comer does overlays.

Tony

If you have one of those uncoupling ramps that is low as the train and relavant coaches travels over; then you raise as the ‘slip’ coach travels over. Success! No special coach. Just a little practice at the ‘correct speed’.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Slipcoaching was one of my thoughts with great potential with DCC in mind. Some sort of flywheel or freewheeling motor device....
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:55 pm

With DCC you could use consisting and simply drive the slipcoach to the station. Motorising the coach would help with shunting duties especially if manually operated as in the posting above.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:31 am

A move I saw on film many years ago, had not only the coach being slipped but the points being changed in the gap opening between the train and the free running coach. It's the only way the train could pass through on the central through tracks and the coach arrive at the platform face under it's own momentum. Unlocking then throwing the points, would need to be pretty smartly done unless it was on a falling grade where the slipped coach could afford to brake heavily to open up the necessary gap.
A modern day H&S inspector would have apoplexy at the mere suggestion of attempting it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Real World Railways”