Windermere's replacement bus service replaced

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
stuartp

Re: Windermere's replacement bus service replaced

Postby stuartp » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:48 pm

Bufferstop wrote:The Govt. were having to pick up the bill as West Coast isn't licenced to run scheduled services. I don't know what individual services cost to run, but I would have thought £6k per day was a bargain price. Only the franchised operator or the ORR can run scheduled services without having to gain approval.

Exactly. That's also the reason they weren't running in the Northern paths. The replacement bus service fulfilled Northern's franchise obligations, if not its passengers' expectations.

Bufferstop wrote:ATM they're running a daily service provided by DRS to get workers to Sellafield. It wasn't provide for in the franchise and I guess Northern don't have the spare capacity to run it.

If that's the two daily services around the coast then they are Northern franchised services running on Northern's Safety Certificate, but the traction is contracted out to DRS. It pre-dates the current franchise and it's nothing to do with WCR. It uses DRS stock because the DfT re-allocated two of Northern's 156s somewhere else as part of the fallout from the DfT's TPE/Chiltern 170 c0ck up, and the Cumbrian Coast was the easiest/least politically unattractive option to back fill a service with hired traction. Of DMUs only 142s, 153s and 156s (I think) are route-cleared which limited options a bit.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:09 pm

Better tell their MP, he got it a bit muddled! DRS were the obvious choice as they run to and from Sellafield all the time. The rolling stock was an interesting mix of ex Virgin and Project Rio when I saw it. I thought they were an extra service as the morning one seems to be followed by a Northern service a few minutes later.
Are the restrictions down to the Arenside viaduct?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:30 am

You may have see the driver training trips, I'm reasonably sure they were in DRS livery by the time the proper service started. The restrictions are down to Bransty tunnel structure gauge and a couple of low platforms which foul 158 yaw dampers. What exactly the issue with 150s is I'm not sure.

That will be the same MP who was all over the front pages with his best "Disappointed of Windermere" face on, standing under a platform monitor which clearly said "On Time" in the corner.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:14 am

That will be the same MP who was all over the front pages with his best "Disappointed of Windermere" face on, standing under a platform monitor which clearly said "On Time" in the corner.

The Westmorland Gazette is always desperate for something to fill its pages.
The locals called them the Sellafield Special, but that could have been for route training as some use the Sellafield tracks for layover and turn back. Presumably familiarity with the internal layout is needed by DRS drivers.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:15 pm

I loved the Westmoreland Gazette when I lived up there. They ran a front page story in the 1990s which essentially boiled down to "Man disappointed with new washing machine",

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:27 pm

My wife subscribed to the digital edition, just for the crossword, which we discovered whilst looking after her father. Whoever compiles it is fiendish, it's our Friday morning coffee break challenge..

Return to “Real World Railways”