Archive loco allocation site

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
burnie

Archive loco allocation site

Postby burnie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:49 am

I have been posting on another site for some considerable time, but on occasion found it both unhelpful and at times some of the posters are downright ignorant, one of the reasons I joined on here as having been browsing, it seems a whole lot friendlier and less competitive.
I hope this doesn't cause a problem, but I'd like to share a link sent to me from one of the more helpful individuals who is also modelling the same station as me. www.shedbashuk.blogspot.com, may be something you already know about, but I have found it most informative on the allocations of locos in former years and gives a history of the sheds listed. It will help prompt my own failing memories and both give a bit of accuracy to my layout and hopefully add to the enjoyment of running it too. To start with I may not have the right numbers on all the locos, but at least I can have the right classes.

RFS

Re: Archive loco allocation site

Postby RFS » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:49 am

You may also find this website extremely useful for allocations of locos in BR days.

http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php
Robert Smith

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:53 am

Yup. That will be RM then.

Thanks for that link burnie. I am just in the process of making my station building so that will site will be very handy for refrence. :)
Thanks
End2end

EDIT: Oh sadly I cannot see much data on that site as you have to login. :(
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

burnie

Postby burnie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:33 pm

I stopped updating my thread after a few snide remarks on that forum, someone happened to find my thread and sent the link and I thought it might be of interest to others. Thanks RFS, I will look at that link later, I still have a couple of my old Ian Allen shed books, these sites fill in the gaps and also give a visible narration of the decline of steam in the era I am modelling.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:07 pm

The Ian Allan "BR Steam Motive Power Depots" series by Paul Bolger show the allocations (steam only!) for each depot as at 1950, 1959 & 1965.

For L.N.E.R. locos the Yeadon's Volumes show the full allocation history for each individual locomotive.

And of course the individual years' "Locoshed" books include diesels as well.

What precise info are you after?

burnie

Postby burnie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:The Ian Allan "BR Steam Motive Power Depots" series by Paul Bolger show the allocations (steam only!) for each depot as at 1950, 1959 & 1965.

For L.N.E.R. locos the Yeadon's Volumes show the full allocation history for each individual locomotive.

And of course the individual years' "Locoshed" books include diesels as well.

What precise info are you after?

I'm modelling the Great Central 1955 to '65 period around the Leicester area(where I was born and grew up), I have a few old shed books, but these sites give me the fuller span of information on one page. I probably have enough info for now from the two sites named above, just need the funds to go buy a dozen locos !!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:33 am

Hi Burnie - welcome to the forum. Another good steam resource is http://www.whathappenedtosteam.com/ this is Peter Hands site and is an on-line version of the little books that he published many years ago describing the withdrawal and scrapping of steam locomotives, it is a fascinating site

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

burnie

Postby burnie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:45 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:Hi Burnie - welcome to the forum. Another good steam resource is http://www.whathappenedtosteam.com/ this is Peter Hands site and is an on-line version of the little books that he published many years ago describing the withdrawal and scrapping of steam locomotives, it is a fascinating site

Jim

Thanks Jim, I will have a look later at Peter Hands site, proper nostalgia trip some of these sites.

Return to “Real World Railways”