Flying Scotsman steam sets off London Victoria fire alarm

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Lancastrian

Flying Scotsman steam sets off London Victoria fire alarm

Postby Lancastrian » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:59 am

Rush hour commuters had to clear a busy London railway station after steam from the Flying Scotsman set off the fire alarm.

Read more HERE
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

glencairn

Re: Flying Scotsman steam sets off London Victoria fire alarm

Postby glencairn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:10 am

At least they know the alarm works. :D

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:22 am

They won't have to bother with this weeks test either! ;) :)

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am

A perfect example of older and newer technology being incompatible. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:26 pm

More like a symptom of doing the job by numbers and not thinking ahead. Just like the problem GWR was having at Paddington where the HST's Victorian plumbing system was dumping its load onto the track and defeating the track occupation circuits. At least Scotrail are having the coaches dragged into the 21st Century before accepting the shortened and refurbished HSTs. It ought to have been done at least at the previous refurb instead of using "grandfather rights" to carry on using it. That they are still running does however prove the value of the HST concept, change the power cars, change the coaches anytime as long as you maintain system compatibility!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Bufferstop wrote:That they are still running does however prove the value of the HST concept, change the power cars, change the coaches anytime as long as you maintain system compatibility!

And they're still better than their modern "replacements". It's always a relief on the rare occasion an HST turns up instead of a voyager for my journey home with CrossCountry.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:36 pm

When it was Virgin XC, I turned up at Picaddilly for a mid morning train to Birmingham. Standing in the platform was the "Pretendolino". The first thing the train manager did was to apologise that it wasn't a Voyager. Everyone burst out laughing :D

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:44 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:And they're still better than their modern "replacements". It's always a relief on the rare occasion an HST turns up instead of a voyager for my journey home with CrossCountry.

Debatable point, I and many of my fellow TMs hate working HSTs, they are rough, go wrong all the time and are a pain in the backside to work. And the ride is bloomin' awful compared to a Voyager.

The above may not be what you spotters want to hear, but it's a reality of working stock that should have been retired a decade ago.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:04 pm

b308 wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:And they're still better than their modern "replacements". It's always a relief on the rare occasion an HST turns up instead of a voyager for my journey home with CrossCountry.

Debatable point, I and many of my fellow TMs hate working HSTs, they are rough, go wrong all the time and are a pain in the backside to work. And the ride is bloomin' awful compared to a Voyager.

The above may not be what you spotters want to hear, but it's a reality of working stock that should have been retired a decade ago.

I can assure you that enthusiastic tendencies have nothing to do with it! I wouldn't cross the street to see an HST go past, any more than I would a class 37 or anything else built after 1960. I just find them a more comfy, pleasant, quieter ride.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:41 am

Can't be XC's or GWR's, then, the ride on a Voyager is far better, especially the non-tilt 221s, HST's rides are more bouncy and they also have the common problem with non-fixed rake stock in that the couplings "snatch" every time the trains slows or speeds up, something you don't get with the semi permanent couplings of the others... 22X stock is much more noisy, yes, but I'll live with that. I've been working both types of stock for the past 17 years and having to walk up and down them on a daily basis, rest assured HSTs are rougher riders than Voyagers, especially at speed... The Mk2's however were quite a nice ride, perhaps because they didn't usually go above 100mph.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:16 pm

I'll give you the Voyager suspension and coupling, but then there's
the tilting profile body, - loss of overhead luggage space and head bumping on glass when sitting in window seat (and I'm hardly tall)
engine under the floor in every coach - the constant drone becomes tiring.
seat alignment - grey plastic is not a good view of anything.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:10 pm

I have acknowledged the engine noise! The seat orientation you can blame on BR , they were doing that in Mk3s long before we were! As regards Tilt I couldn't agree more, the Bearded One wanted fancy trains so that's what he got, trouble is we needed something with more space, not tilt... And he's still fouling up the railway even now, 'bout time he was banished...

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:32 am

This has happened multiple times at the low level Argyle Street when diesels pass through the station, think there is a rule now that diesels must coast through the station.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:51 pm

HSTs and Mk3s always have been and always will be by far the smoothest most comfortable coaches we've ever had. Voyagers are just vulgar in comparison. The blithering idiots who designed them couldn't even make the seats line up with windows and haven't a clue what engine mounts are. Compare an HST to a flying ironing board on the GW. Now they are in a class of their own for being utterly sh*te! Resurrects a saying from the 70's when Japanese cars disintegrated in front of your eyes.....japcrap!

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:39 am

D605Eagle wrote: Voyagers are just vulgar in comparison. The blithering idiots who designed them couldn't even make the seats line up with windows

I suppose that makes the BR designers blithering idiots as well as they introduced Airline Seating with the Mk3s... The reason? People wanted more seats so they didn't have to stand and airline seating gives you more seats... Fact is most people on trains no longer sit there and look out of the windows, they are on their mobile...

I will bow to all your superior knowledge on ride, after all I just work on them and have to walk up and down them! ;) :)

Return to “Real World Railways”