A Hydraulically Operated Level Crossing.

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Mountain

A Hydraulically Operated Level Crossing.

Postby Mountain » Mon May 28, 2018 8:30 pm

I remember when I was a kiddie getting out of the car and pumping the lever to get the gates to rise and when over the other side, I'd turn the other lever which would lower the barriers behind me. The crossing barriers used to be at Penybedd in Wales and it was replaced with AHB's in the early to mid 1990's, mainly due to a fatality. The locals would often open the barriers and not bother to lower them afterwards.
I didnt know that there were more then one crossing of this type and today I came across this (See link) which brought back memories. Is not the same location, but apart from the Penybedd crossing had longer barriers if my memory serves me right, and the lowering lever looking slightly different, and the Penybedd pumping handle being more substantial then this crossing (This lever looks flimsy in comparison), this crossing is otherwize the same.

https://youtu.be/ZGdA93gpg3I
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bufferstop

Re: A Hydraulically Operated Level Crossing.

Postby Bufferstop » Mon May 28, 2018 9:09 pm

I'm not surprised the locals left the barriers up if it took that long to raise them. Totally unfit for purpose in my opinion. Since there appeared to be no sort of interlocking, a simple counterweight and muscle power would have been more effective, perhaps using hydraulics to star tlllting both at once, one shove to send them both up or down. Once had a six person hydraulic lift that I could raise with less pumping!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Re: A Hydraulically Operated Level Crossing.

Postby Mountain » Mon May 28, 2018 10:38 pm

The kid wasn't pumping it properly. He was only giving the lever half a throw at a time. It only took about ten seconds for an adult to pump it to fully raise it. When I was seven I used to raise them!
The newer AHB's are not interlocked either. The barriers go down about four or five seconds before the train passes. They lower when trains are about two football pitch distance away so there's no way a train could stop.
Mind you, recently the crossing has claimed another two lives within weeks of each other with the AHB's but they were suicides.
The fatality when the last barriers were up were not due to the fault of the barriers. A local man stalled his car on the crossing. He got out. I assume he was going to try to phone the signalman but saw a train approaching and went back in the car to try to start it and was killed.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Return to “Real World Railways”