How trains run around curves

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Bufferstop

Re: How trains run around curves

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:46 am

Think about what was needed, Every wheel had to be pushed outwards by 1.25" max, if the tyres were wide enough not even that. Similarly the rails, It could probably be achieved by using thinner wooden keys and a cast iron spacer on the inner face. A more permanent fix could be applied at the next renewal by using chairs with their bolt holes offset by the correct amount. Alright locos and point work were a bit more involved, but when you look at what the Great Western achieved in one weekend, not an impossible task.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Pete

Re: How trains run around curves

Postby Pete » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:59 pm

Wikki is your friend, Pete, it was 4ft gauge (not unique in the UK but quite rare (you could even model it in OO scale using 16.5mm gauge track! ;) ) and the locos did indeed have a low profile!

There was some dispute about this gauge, I really can't remember, I read the book some time ago (I think the book I have is referenced in one of the links you posted), it's probably just a bit of perpetuation of error, 4' sounds a much more likely dimension! The track was purchased second hand from the Bristol area.
I did once try to model a section of the line, using standard 00 gauge, a lovely ogive tanked Manning Wardle, and a mixture of open side tippers and cauldren wagons (they looked the part). It was going to be a simple straight that run along The Strand in Saundersfoot.

One of the locos ended up at the Steelworks in Port Talbot, I think in the 30s. There were two locos at the end Bulldog and Rosalin(d?).

As I say, all from memory, I might have to dig the book out again (it's a very thin volume).

It's a line that always interested me as my folks had a Caravan just outside Saundersfoot and I spent most summers as a child in the area, the cliff walk and the tunnels were always exciting (they still are, but the tunnels are pedestrian friendly and lit now :) ).

There was also a tram way on the beach, rocks with holes in them which held the track can still be found, as can remains of the track fittings so I've heard, but I've never found any myself. The records of the railway were destroyed in a fire, so apart from a few documents and a handful of photos there's not a lot known about it.

It's quite interesting to contrast the coal and iron industry in West Wales to that of the better known Welsh Valleys.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Return to “Real World Railways”