Jubliee 45690

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
BrightonMan

Jubliee 45690

Post by BrightonMan »

Jubilee Class 45690 passing through Buxton today, photos sent to me by a friend whose house backs onto the line
45690 3.jpg
45690 2.jpg
45690 1.jpg
glencairn

Re: Jubliee 45690

Post by glencairn »

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
michaelasc

Post by michaelasc »

Someone once told me that Jubilees always carried the Green livery in BR days and that Black or Red was used in LMS days. So I have to ask how common was it to have a BR Jubilee in black?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the livery above because if it was genuinely carried this means I can easily convert one of my black Peco jubilees to BR
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

michaelasc wrote:Someone once told me that Jubilees always carried the Green livery in BR days and that Black or Red was used in LMS days. So I have to ask how common was it to have a BR Jubilee in black?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the livery above because if it was genuinely carried this means I can easily convert one of my black Peco jubilees to BR
You are correct - Jubilees were always green in BR days, fully lined to begin with then towards the end some were in "economy green" with no lining. The current owner is seen as somewhat of a maverick in preservation circles, he has a attitude of "its my engine and I will paint it whatever colour I want", often just to court controversy! If you have a browse on the preservation forums you will see that there is a considerable amount of debate about the livery.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
b308

Post by b308 »

All the ones I saw in my spotting days were (filthy) green! There were a couple which received the "experimental" colour scheme in the early days of BR, so not all were in green! ;)
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

Amethyst at least was BR black at one point:

http://www.jubilees.co.uk/photos/45700b.html
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

That looks like an "official" photograph, so lord knows what colour it was done out in for the occasion.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
b308

Post by b308 »

Just done some looking up in the RCTS book on Jubilees. Appart from the two in light green, 47 were painted in BR lined Black (as per that photo (the early BR logo era)). Also at the end, several, including my personal favourite, Hardy, were painted in unlined Green!
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

b308 wrote:Just done some looking up in the RCTS book on Jubilees. Appart from the two in light green, 47 were painted in BR lined Black (as per that photo (the early BR logo era)). Also at the end, several, including my personal favourite, Hardy, were painted in unlined Green!
Do you know the numbers of the pair painted in light green?
b308

Post by b308 »

Sorry, misread it, there were three!

45565, 45609 & 45694.

That livery for 45690 on the OP is correct according to the book, it had the lined black livery with early crest from April 1949 to November 1952 when it was painted in lined green.
Notanyware

Post by Notanyware »

Ah Leander the old beauty, as a young boy growing up in Longbridge near the Austin Motor Factory I used to see that engine just about every time I went trainspotting, the groan from my self and a few mates was "oh no not Leander again", thank goodness for New Street Station and Tamworth so we could get away from Leander, Jervis, Newfoundland and a multitude of many more Jubilees that frequentied the Birmingham - Bristol main line, yes they were all in BR Green, I look back now and remember my fondest days of growing up with British steam in the 1950s
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Notanyware wrote:Ah Leander the old beauty, as a young boy growing up in Longbridge near the Austin Motor Factory I used to see that engine just about every time I went trainspotting, the groan from my self and a few mates was "oh no not Leander again", thank goodness for New Street Station and Tamworth so we could get away from Leander, Jervis, Newfoundland and a multitude of many more Jubilees that frequentied the Birmingham - Bristol main line, yes they were all in BR Green, I look back now and remember my fondest days of growing up with British steam in the 1950s
Ha! In the 1980s and 90s it was 47555. Everywhere we went 555 would turn up. It got so silly we came to the conclusion that some depot had sent out half a dozen or so 47s all with 555 on them! It wasn't just us either it became almost legendary and was often joked about in the early editions of traction magazine.