Modelling Southern Railways/Region

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
BobDM

Modelling Southern Railways/Region

Postby BobDM » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 am

Sorry to keep asking questions but this seems to be the place to get the answers to tricky questions.

I would like to model a terminus based on Eastbourne railway station in the mid-1970s.

Can anybody recommend books and web based material which would help me get started. I need to know more about modelling the infrastructure of Southern Railways and Southern Region. I am in Scotland and there isn't much in the public libraries up here about it. I can access some back issues of Railway Modeller back to 2011.

Once again, any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

mumbles

Re: Modelling Southern Railways/Region

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:47 am

This site is probably somewhere I end up with nearly every bit of research! You could spend days on there and still have only scratched the surface! It would probably not only have most of the info, but would certainly point you in the right direction if it doesn't

http://www.semgonline.com/home.html

Disused stations is always worth a look for lines and places nearby that have closed as it will have pictures of locos and other such things that aren't as commonly discussed.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk

My books that I've used for building electric stock and infrastructure (obviously for specific areas I've modelled) but will give you an idea of what there is. The Michael Welch books are fantastic:

PSX_20171214_093646.jpg

And of course here! Start either a layout planning thread or workbench thread as appropriate and you'll have your own resource with members helping with any questions or problems

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:59 am

Could be worth a trip to your local Waterstones if you have one? They'll almost def be one in Eastbourne and your local shop would probably be able to tell you what books they have in the train/local history section down south. If not give the Eastbourne branch a call and see if they can tell you?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:53 am

Somewhere I have an interesting book. It has the Southern Railway milage charts and route diagrams etc. It maybe an old book but it has interesting information for the Southern Railway enthusiast.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:42 pm

I have a good book, might be the same as Mountin is discribing. Some good info?
I say have, had lent it out and not seen it since, can’t remember the name of it, but was very useful.

BobDM

Postby BobDM » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks a lot chaps.

Mumbles, the stuff you put up was a fantastic help. I have ordered a copy of the book of track diagrams.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:43 pm

BobDM wrote:Thanks a lot chaps.

Mumbles, the stuff you put up was a fantastic help. I have ordered a copy of the book of track diagrams.

You're very welcome. I can assure you before I joined this site I wouldn't have even known there was a Southern Railway, big four or any such stuff!

Im still largely clueless and am not ashamed to admit it! I think I'm a modeller first (just generally artistic and creative) and my interest in trains is a symptom!! Much like a disease :mrgreen: :lol:

NickH

Postby NickH » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:29 pm

There are a number of books that specifically cover modelling the Southern Railway/Region. Noodle books have a couple by Jeremy English, and Crowood Press have just published one by Chris Ford entitled Modelling the Southern Region 1948 to the present day, which would appear to meet your requirements.
In the past few years there has been plenty of books covering the railways in the south east, and rolling stock, electrification etc., so perhaps you may, after a bit of general reading, be able to pinpoint particular areas for further enquiry.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:19 am

If you need any pictures of how the station looks now let me know. I only live down the road from there so could nip down and take some :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 am

m.levin wrote:I have a good book, might be the same as Mountin is discribing. Some good info?
I say have, had lent it out and not seen it since, can’t remember the name of it, but was very useful.

Here is the book I have. "Table of Distances between stations, junctions etc, on London Brighton and South Coast Railway."
Photograph should turn the right way up if clicked on. Is an interesting book but not really the top of my "Keep" list because I've rarely ventured out to that part of the country and it maybe slightly out of date if I do now. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20180219_090035.jpg
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Return to “Real World Railways”