Old Railway posters

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
mumbles

Old Railway posters

Postby mumbles » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:18 am

Apologies if its been done before but I love the old posters. Thought a thread for them would be good. Post up any you like and if you know about them, who the artists are or anything please say!!

A few to get going. Would have any of them on my wall

article-0-1D48E88800000578-900_964x654.jpg

1935-southern-electric-sussex-railway-poster-a3-a2-print-10626-p.jpg
1935-southern-electric-sussex-railway-poster-a3-a2-print-10626-p.jpg (19.94 KiB) Viewed 491 times

british-industries-steel-lms.jpg

Mountain

Re: Old Railway posters

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:41 am

I think we all have old railway posters lying around gathering dust or fading on walls... They are fantastic things though but unless one has space and a wall that does not have too much sun they can be difficult things to keep. Bulky in the tubes for storage... They need to be kept dry...
I love them though! Can't beat the painted scenes and even more modern posters are good, though some lack the lovely excitement and draw that the older ones had. Never forget asking the company I worked for to being in some more exciting posters... Some painted scenes (As at the time they had boring things which even today's passengers didnt want to look at) and I was told one had to go to university to get a degree in art before one could even hope to make posters for the company... I looked at the guy daft! All one needed to do was to have the artistic touch and one can inspire people to visit the places. What good is a degree for such a job? It certainly didnt work by the look of their posters at the time!
Reminds me. I could do with getting mine out and photographing them. Also have a map of the railsaays of England and Wales from the 1840's or just after, and it is surprising what was there back then and what wasn't there.
Last edited by Mountain on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:47 am

Mountain wrote:I think we all have old railway posters lying around

Not me :wink:

I quite like the British industries one 8)

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:57 am

I just had to have a google...

The railway south of Whitby has long gone, but the old trackbed is a public trail. I have ran, walked and cycled along here many times over the years:

yorkshire-coast-one-of-nature-s-holiday-areas.-vintage-br-travel-poster.-1959-558-p.jpg

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 am

I remember seeing a faded and ripped one of these whilst ermmmmmm..... shall we say investigating an abandoned station many years ago. It was so atmospheric seeing it amongst all the detritus and dereliction.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:03 am

I have a metal version of this sign.
Apologies for the small picture. It was the only one I could find on the web.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:15 am

I think most of mine are British Rail ones. One is a parcel force poster showing a map of all their depots...(It is big!) A few are British Rail maps.. One is something to do with ferries and includes a big map of all the lines in Europe (Printed by British Rail),
Have a poster of a streamlined Coronation Scot. Umm. I also have two interesting books. One is one to show drivers how to pass exams and predates the Great Western Railway examples by some twenty years, and the other is an immaculate old book of Southern Railway route maps and milage charts from either 1902 or 1904 (Can't remember).
The problem with such books and maps is finding anyone interested without being bombarded by traders who try to convince you each item is worth pennies rather then pounds. (Have you ever known a trader who drove miles to see the item, and then to continually phone over a space of weeks if the item was worth pennies? I have to question their sanity!)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:38 am

I visited a local antiques place in the Lanark Valley (one of those places with lots of individual stalls under one roof) and there was one stall with a couple of framed ones - absolutely eye watering prices! One was this poster of Stafford Image and they wanted £400 for it

I have a couple of pages of posters scaled down for layout use

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:16 pm

I do have an amusing story. A friend of mine had a bicycle that was worth £250 (Originally sold for £300 or more before it was reduced in a sale), but he had it for a bit less then that price. He has a bicycle collecting issue, so he had bought it new, rode it home and it sat in his back garden for a couple of months. The bike was immaculate except the cables had ceased with rust. I offered to buy it off him to rescue it. I paid him £120 which was a slight loss to him but he would have let it rust to scrap and I wanted to help him out.
I changed the cables (Approx value of parts £20 max.) and put it for sale at £140. A man phoned me and over the phone asked if I would take £120. I reluctantly said OK, and he came to the house when I was in work. My mum phoned and he said there was a big scratch underneath and he couldn't work out how the gear levers worked so would I take £100 for it? I said no, and he went. When I got back from work I checked the gear levers and gears. All worked very well. Looked for the scratch and on the entire bike I only found a very tiny scratch mark underneath which was hardly noticeable as one had to look hard to find it, which was rare for any bike to have such immaculate paintwork even when new.
He phoned again offering £100 and I refused as what he had said to me was a lie. A month or two later I sold it to someone I know for £100 as he wanted a bike and I was OK with taking a loss. Well, his son wrecked a wheel and it was there for a while as I refused to repair it as I'd repaired several bikes free or very cheap for them and his son kept breaking the things.. Bikes I'd given some of them free or cheap in the past and I'd told him not to let his son borrow this one!
About a year or two later he had sold or given the non working bike to a local lady who wanted to get into cycling. She had got the bike up and running as it was far cheaper then buying a new one. Well, she practiced and entered a bicycle race and won beating many professional riders on very expensive bikes. Someone from the crowd was so impressed he bought her bicycle there and then for £1000.
(I must say I was impressed as though it was a good enough bicycle, it didnt have the go that expensive bikes had so to win on it was a huge thing!)
So it is funny how life turns out at times!

{Sorry. Maybe my mornings story of life needs to go to the moan thread... Just noticed I've overdone it on the wrong thread though mildly relevant}.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Dave wrote:

I put that one in just for you!! Didnt think the southern muck would appeal :mrgreen:

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:47 pm

A long time ago, I can't remember were, (net or swapmeet), I bought 5 CD's
They contain advert/posters from all over the world, for all kinds of products, most are small, ready for printing. A lot are not in english!
There are not many railway related, but even that small percentage was worthwhile, as there are over 20,000 jpg's!!!
Here are two of my favourites (that I have found so far!)
67c1_1.jpg
67c1_1.jpg (20.9 KiB) Viewed 421 times
East Coast Route.jpg
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:33 am

mumbles wrote:
Dave wrote:

I put that one in just for you!! Didnt think the southern muck would appeal :mrgreen:

While I'm not a Southern Modeller as it is almost like another country to here (Actually is another country technically speaking) but I do have a general interest which is how I picked up the milage tables. I was intrigued as to what it was and it was railway related.
I do love the greens of their stations. They look smart. I have to say though that their locos in general lacked the grunt that Great Western engines had, though to be fair, most of the Southern Railway network had entirely different needs to other railways of the big Four.
They were the only railway to make money operating from passengers alone due to the sheer density of passenger numbers in the areas which they operated in, so tonnages were lower but at times more difficult to handle. (People are not the easiest things to deal with!)
What did puzzle me was why the Southern Railway adopted the 4-6-2 design which for its railways use, was not really needed and actually more of a hinderence then an asset.
Both the LNER and the LMS needed 4-6-2 designs rather then 4-6-0 because of the sheer distances they had to travel, the extra 2 wheels needed to support the larger ash pans, but in effect reduced the tractive effort of the locomotive at the driving wheels slightly. (Hence why the GWR didnt adopt the 4-6-2 design other then trailing the experimental "The Great Bear" locomotive they built in 1912 (If my memory serves me correctly)).
As the larger ashpan was used for long distance journeys, why did they design such locos when their network was a smaller one? Was it they could only obtain very poor quality coal? (As rhe other reason for a larger ashpan was to cope with the clinker when buring poor quality coals). Not really as they purchased most of their coal from South Wales which was the best quality coal. South Wales didnt have much in the way of poor quality coal. It is all high quality but awkward to mine due to narrow veins.
So it has puzzled me for a while, as I like to know the reasons for design decisions.... It is fascinating to look at each country four the world and fathom out why their steam locomotives were designed or adopted the way they were. For example, narrow gauge locos working sugar plantations had roofs over their tenders... Why? They burnt sugar beet bales freely obtainable as a waste product from the industry they were in, and during sudden monsson type rainfall the baless needed to be kept dry to burn efficiently.
Why were USA locomotives larger then in the UK? Because they had more space to begin with and also, due to the vast distances needed to travel, one will take every opportunity to build a larger loco so one can take a whole load of wagons in one go rather then the need to make a second journey. (OK maybe I'm over simplifying the concepts a little, but it is nice to look as why things were done the way they were!)
Back to posters me thinks!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:52 am

A French one 8)

IMG_2475.JPG

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:17 am

Can you imagine putting that poster for Whitley Bay up today, don't know who would be first to complain, the PC brigade for the depiction of a glamorous model on the beach or the Trades Description boys for depicting Whitley Bay as a desirable sunny summer destination :D
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:19 am

I have this sheet, all sized to 00 if anyone wants a copy PM me

Posters.JPG

Jim

Return to “Real World Railways”