Weathering Stanier Class 5s

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
JLK2707

Weathering Stanier Class 5s

Postby JLK2707 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:29 am

Hi, I am just wondering what colours railway tracks would have weathered on a main line which was frequently used by the Stanier class 5MT locomotives and what kinds of braking systems that those locomotives would have used. Does anybody here know, as I plan on weathering tracks which had these locomotives frequently run on them.

b308

Re: Weathering Stanier Class 5s

Postby b308 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:40 am

Brakes wise vacuum brakes for the trains and (I think) steam brakes for the loco)...

Track, from what I remember wasn't much different to today except where steam locos stood for any length of time where the track would be blacker! Elsewhere the rails rusted as they do now, in those days mainlines were quite clear of weeds and vegetation as they used weed killer trains!

6C

Postby 6C » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:57 am

Steam locos did drip oil from the motion - both in-between track and along the end of the sleepers.

My observation is oil patches between the tracks were rarer than in diesel times - maybe they steam-cleaned the oil patches themselves - when draining cylinder-cocks etc.

So only really large patches of oil in steam days would be in servicing areas and MPDs
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Thinking more about it I'd suggest that the OP visits one of our preserved railways and observes the track in the stations, they would give a good indication on what track was like during steam days especially where engines are stood for any length of time.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:35 pm

JLK2707 wrote:Hi, I am just wondering what colours railway tracks would have weathered on a main line which was frequently used by the Stanier class 5MT locomotives...

There's no 'one size fits all' answer to your question. The UK - and especially that part of the UK where the LMS/LMR's lines ran - still had plenty of massively polluting heavy industries, and both the stone ballast colour and the local soil / rock colour(s) also influenced track appearance. There are several very good colour albums which will give you an idea. 'The Big Four in Colour 1935-50' is a particular favourite of mine, a careful selection to give the broadest possible overview from the available material.

Return to “Real World Railways”