For Sale - Two Deltics

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
luckymucklebackit

For Sale - Two Deltics

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Should maybe have put this in the buy and sell section :)

http://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/deltics-up-for-sale

A rare opportunity to purchase two former East Coast Main Line Class 55 Deltic locomotives is in prospect. Note that neither are DCC chipped but the sound is way better than anything else on the market!

Martin Walker, the owner of D9016 Gordon Highlander and pioneer 55022 Royal Scots Grey, has decided to offer his locomotives and a large quantity of spare parts for sale.

Both locomotives are currently out of service, with D9016 stored at DCRail’s Washwood Heath base midway through an extensive bodywork overhaul. It had been planned for the locomotive to move to a heritage railway in the Midlands for completion of work, although whether this will now happen is unclear.

55022 is based at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, currently disguised as long-scrapped 55018 Ballymoss. However, it has been out of service since suffering a crankshaft to phasing case quill shaft failure to its operational engine in July.

While the necessary engine repairs are not considered to be difficult, Walker explained that he had been awaiting the availability of a crane to allow the engine to be removed. The engine failure resulted in the cancellation of all its scheduled workings on the NYMR until it returns to operation.

Walker told RAIL: “I’ve had a great time with the locomotives, which has been both enjoyable and frustrating on occasions, but I think the time has come to let someone else take them on."
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

TimberSurf

Re: For Sale - Two Deltics

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:32 am

Much as I would love to own such great sounding loco's, I am having difficulty fitting my layout in the attic, without trying to squeeze one of those in as well, similarly my back garden is not as long as one of those, plus I dont care for outdoor railways. But I guess for someone with the room, its an easy fix, as they are not so fiddly as OO. The wife would also have a fit will the oil stains they would leave behind. Sorry, I will not be bidding.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:41 am

TimberSurf wrote:as they are not so fiddly as OO.

Oh I'm not sure about that, that engine(s) they use is rather complicated! I think I'll stick to OO(HO) myself!! :)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:43 am

Sorry but he can't advertise them on here as well. Terms and Conditions you know :wink:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:45 pm

As they are non-runners can they be converted to DCC?

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:00 pm

glencairn wrote:As they are non-runners can they be converted to DCC?

Glencairn

I seriously doubt it! Not sure what current they would draw, but I think the largest decoder you can get is 10A, I bet its a least 20-40Amps, possibly a little more?
And what size is the booster going to be?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

flattrack60

Postby flattrack60 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:50 pm

Lotteries on for Tuesday :D

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:47 pm

D'you think he'll take a tenner for both? :o :shock: :D
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Return to “Real World Railways”