Unnumbered BR Black 5 Locomotives

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
JLK2707

Unnumbered BR Black 5 Locomotives

Postby JLK2707 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Are there any real life photographs of the BR Black 5 locomotives or any other steam locomotives which are weathered and unnumbered? If yes, can anybody please send me a link where to find them.
Last edited by JLK2707 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

luckymucklebackit

Re: Unnumbered BR Black 5 Locomotives

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 pm

I can't think of any Black 5s that ran without cab side numbers. Do you mean that they were so dirty that the cab side number could not be read. There were also some running towards the end of steam with no smokebox door number.

jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Even the filthiest loco would have its number visible and that typically would be only bit to have been cleaned at any time - it was important for crews to be able to readily identify the loco they had been allocated to work in a loco yard where there could have a number of the same type.

JLK2707

Postby JLK2707 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:53 am

I am talking about ones which were just so grimy that the cab number could not be read.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:44 am

Probably only to be found in Woodhams' yard. If it was in use there would be a little patch that had been rubbed clean around the number, the rest of the loco could be as filthy as hell.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

6C

Postby 6C » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:25 am

The late Robert Adley book - "In Search of Steam" - has some good photographs - mostly in colour - of the twilight end of BR steam..
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:46 am

I was a spotter in the late 60s at Lostock Hall, the last of the BR steam sheds. I can't remember any loco having the running number obscured or non-existent, they were very dirty but the number was still visible, either under a layer of grime or cleaned off as some have said. Sometimes the number was painted on the smokebox door when the plate had been removed. Even in the scrap sidings (the only part of the depot where the foreman left us alone!) the numbers were still visible...

It's worth bearing in mind that, as today, each loco was allocated it's own diagram for the days work, so a loco without a number visible somewhere would be unlikely to get off the depot at all as it could cause major issues when out and about.

Return to “Real World Railways”