When Were Real Electric Points Introduced

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Tom@Crewe

When Were Real Electric Points Introduced

Postby Tom@Crewe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 am

When were real life electric controlled points introduced. I was on a train yesterday Crewe to Birmingham and saw plenty of electric ones, but I was on the lookout for point rodding but saw none.

I have done some online searches but I can't pin down the date for the introduction and change over.

Can anyone help or point me the right way, thank you.

Ex-Pat

Re: When Were Real Electric Points Introduced

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:49 pm

Good question!

I can start you off with reference to: http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/p ... es_m3.html

Would further suggest you pursue searches based on "Westinghouse" - maybe even contact them perhaps?

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:07 pm

That information will do me. I have a layout 1960 - 64, but with 14 points it would be complicated to get rods to them all. A couple will be hand operated, and with this info I can have some rod controlled and some electric.

Thank you 'Ex-Pat' :D

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Electro Pneumatic control of Points dates back to the early 1900s, Glasgow Central box was commissioned in 1908 with electro-pneumatic point switches throughout. Even in recent times the point was changed with a distinctive "calunk-hiss" Not sure when the full electric point machines first became available.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Real World Railways”