Platform both sides

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Bufferstop

Platform both sides

Postby Bufferstop » Tue May 16, 2017 7:45 pm

I came across a picture of a DLR station with platforms on both sides of a train. I can only think of two locations where this exists/existed on the main line, Ventnor now closed and Ulverston where the branch train for Windermere stood in the centre with the main line having a cross platform connection from either side. Does anyone know of other locations where apart from bay platforms it was possible to leave the train from either side at the same time. I bet there's dozens. The Heathrow Terminal 5 under runway shuttle doesn't count, even if you include rubber tyres on concrete rails, you can only get out of one side and in on the other and not at the same time.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

glencairn

Re: Platform both sides

Postby glencairn » Tue May 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Platform both sides -- Santa Apolonia Station Lisbon
SAM_0949.JPG
SAM_0949.JPG (169.22 KiB) Viewed 1633 times

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Horsted Keynes on the bluebell for a start! Students of the LBSCR will probably be able to name a few others of similar design to Horsted Keynes, I know they're out there because I've seen pictures of them and thought "that looks just like on the bluebell" but isn't.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Tue May 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Yeovil Pen Mill.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Peterborough East & Ascot spring immediately to mind.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue May 16, 2017 9:57 pm

Guildford station.
Platforms 5&6 served the same single line.

Nice picture and plan here
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page32.htm

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue May 16, 2017 11:25 pm

I thought you would turn up some more, something else to add to the prototype for everything file.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed May 17, 2017 8:32 am

Existing:

Maryport and Carlisle bay (Platform 2) at the South end of Carlisle Citadel Staiton
Wigan Wallgate bay platform to the north
Platform 18 at Edinburgh Waverley

Removed

Oban - one of the old platforms under the canopy

Must be more,,,,

Jim

Edit - sorry never read your post correctly Bufferstop, you are looking for exceptions to bays
Last edited by luckymucklebackit on Wed May 17, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

senorsenales

Postby senorsenales » Wed May 17, 2017 10:06 am

Reading in its previous un-rebuilt state had two bays, one at each end of the central island platform. Plat 5 and 8 went round Plat 6 and 7, the bays.

Doors in latter days were not opened on both sides, but on the drivers side only because it was DOO. Different in the days of slam door where people exited and joined on both sides.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed May 17, 2017 10:51 am

I think it may have been less popular for through platforms in slam door days because it might require twice as many ticket collectors for one arriving train. A bay between two through platforms isn't a problem as there there are no extra exit routes to cover.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed May 17, 2017 11:09 am

Finsbury Park was deliberately revised and laid out this way on both up and down lines by the Great Northern Railway as the London suburban traffic increased, and this layout was in place until quite recently, must have lasted 100 years or very nearly so.

This arrangement enabled three trains of slam door stock to be in adjacent platforms simultaneously, with the middle of the three having the platforms both sides of the train: passengers could then exchange to any of the other two trains standing, requiring going through the middle train to move between the outer pair, which was accepted practise. What this meant for commuters (who knew what they were doing) was the ability to come up on any of the several suburban routes and make the most efficient transfer to their desired London station or terminus at Finsbury Park; and then repeat the process in the evening going down, start from any of the inner London stations, and efficiently transfer to any of the destination routes out into the country.

Bufferstop wrote:I think it may have been less popular for through platforms in slam door days because it might require twice as many ticket collectors for one arriving train...

An interesting aspect of the Great Northern suburban layout -and not just at Finsbury Park - which is all about getting the walking freight throughput working efficiently; is how easy it is for unsuspecting passengers not used to the way it works to use the Underground connections to get out of the London electronic touch in-touch out ticketting scheme (Oyster Card) area. Belatedly, the touch in-touch out ticketting terminal provision is now being extended Northward, but it really needs to go all the way to Peterborough and Cambridge. I am told that the major objection to this obvious move on Notwork Fail is the 'problem' that it doesn't handle privilege ticketting. There's a very obvious solution...

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Wed May 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Whilst I can't think of any where both sides are actually used together, Norwood Junction, north of East Croydon and Selhurst Depot, has platforms 1 and 2 on either side of the up slow line, though I don't think platform 2 is used much, if at all.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Wed May 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Christs Hospital and Crystal Palace High Level station used to have them.
Ken

b308

Postby b308 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:44 pm

Both of Sheffield's South facing bays are "double sided"...

Return to “Real World Railways”