Trains Being Refurbished

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
mixturesweb

Trains Being Refurbished

Post by mixturesweb »

Hey all

I'm currently converting a small shunting layout into a modern image carriage works. Does anyone have any pictures of any real trains (carriages, locos, wagons, multiple units) which are in mid refurb/repaint state?

I'm hoping you guys will have some great images to share and I feel it will add some variety to my layout by making an item of rolling stock look half finished.

Cheers
Luke
Ex-Pat

Re: Trains Being Refurbished

Post by Ex-Pat »

No rolling stock photos as such, but are these locos from Doncaster & Swindon any good?
03162 - Doncaster - 26-09-82 (2).jpg
03162 - Doncaster - 26-09-82 (2).jpg (191.79 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
31260 - Doncaster - 26-09-82.jpg
31260 - Doncaster - 26-09-82.jpg (203.57 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
37167 - Swindon  - 20-10-83.jpg
37167 - Swindon - 20-10-83.jpg (150.31 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
37196 - Doncaster - 26-09-82.jpg
37196 - Doncaster - 26-09-82.jpg (195.37 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
mixturesweb

Post by mixturesweb »

Ex-Pat wrote:No rolling stock photos as such, but are these locos from Doncaster & Swindon any good?
They're great. They're the kind of thing that I can model using an old Lima model and have it being shunted in and out of a shed.
Luke
hairyhandedfool

Post by hairyhandedfool »

Doncaster works is still quite a good place to see this sort of thing. I believe residents of the works now include a 321 driving car body, seven Class 321 TSO vehicles, a virgin livery mk3 FO, a former Nightstar Mk3 generator vehicle and four former Gatwick Express driving cars, and they still do work on multiple units and coaches from across the country. A Google images search of 'Doncaster works' or 'wabtec doncaster' should bring up a variety of vehicles to look at.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

hairyhandedfool wrote:Doncaster works is still quite a good place to see this sort of thing. I believe residents of the works now include a 321 driving car body, seven Class 321 TSO vehicles, a virgin livery mk3 FO, a former Nightstar Mk3 generator vehicle and four former Gatwick Express driving cars, and they still do work on multiple units and coaches from across the country. A Google images search of 'Doncaster works' or 'wabtec doncaster' should bring up a variety of vehicles to look at.
Probably also the last place on the "non-preserved" network where you could see a class 08 shunting an unfitted wagon!! This was in 2016

Other wagons and snowploughs

Couple of shots highlighting what HHF mentions.

One of the former Gatwick Express driving cars was on accommodation bogies making it sit higher than the rest - very "hornbyesque"

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge