All line rover trip

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
jackshepherd

All line rover trip

Postby jackshepherd » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi everyone, this is something that ive read about people doing and would love to do it myself, get a all line rover ticket and travel the uk, well cetain parts of it, but I would like some helps as to where to go and what hotels you would recommend to stay at, i'd be travelling on my own, and i'd like to visit a few heritage railways along the way, I haven't got really anywhere I would like to go, other than along the Dawlish sea wall, wales, far north of Scotland, York (for the nrm) and about it really. Any help would be great
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

glencairn

Re: All line rover trip

Postby glencairn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi Jack. I used to do the All Line Railrover many years ago. The likes of The Waverley Route was still open. :D I really enjoyed it. Whether it 'would be up your street' or not I do not know, but I used to turn up at the station at around 9.00am and catch the first long distance train out. See a little of the area at where it finished and stay the night. Starting the next journey just after 9.00 next morning.

If you wanted to see specific places, (which are available now,) then I think you would need to plan the journey in detail, (making sure you get good value journey wise). Wherever you go, try and visit the North East of England. A plethora of sites and places are available to visit.

Whatever you do enjoy the experience.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:09 pm

glencairn wrote:Hi Jack. I used to do the All Line Railrover many years ago. The likes of The Waverley Route was still open. :D I really enjoyed it. Whether it 'would be up your street' or not I do not know, but I used to turn up at the station at around 9.00am and catch the first long distance train out. See a little of the area at where it finished and stay the night. Starting the next journey just after 9.00 next morning.

If you wanted to see specific places, (which are available now,) then I think you would need to plan the journey in detail, (making sure you get good value journey wise). Wherever you go, try and visit the North East of England. A plethora of sites and places are available to visit.

Whatever you do enjoy the experience.

Glencairn

Thanks Glencairn, i would like to travel the uk, i would like to start with say a train from London to penzance, then next day off to Edinburgh, then kyle of lochalsh, then not sure after that, as i regular travel to Glasgow both direct and via Edinburgh, so id like to explore new places, but i think the factor that will matter the most is the cost of a hotel every night, the thing is ive read about people doing long several day trips on Six Bells Junction, back in the day when the railway never stopped at night, but it kinda does now, so i wouldn't be able to continuously travel.
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:41 pm

The journeys you are choosing to do in a day can be very tiring. London to Penzance - okay! Getting from Penzance to Edinburgh, I would say, would take two days to complete. Whilst in Edinburgh do not forget The Borders Railway - Edinburgh to Tweedbank. :D Edinburgh to Kyle is another tricky one. I would advise staying in Inverness prior to the Kyle Line. Whilst in Northern Scotland the Far North Line to Thurso and Wick is (to me) a joy. The joy of planning journies. :D

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:33 pm

The ECML from Edinburgh to Dundee and Aberdeen is nicer than Dawlish... Very over-rated that bit of line!

You have two choices, either try to do as much travelling as you can, though as said that will be very tiring, or do it in "chunks" in which case it may be worth thinking of getting more localised rovers and doing a week each year until you've done the lot...

BTW the current longest single train journey, the 0820 Aberdeen to Penznace CrossCountry service is likely to disappear next year some time so if you are into that then do it quickly! 13 hours 40 minutes...

jackshepherd

Postby jackshepherd » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:01 am

I do like to idea of travelling as much as I can, I do understand it would be tiring, and the penzance to Edinburgh is a no no tbh, I get bored on the 4 1/2 hour train from London to Glasgow, I don't mind doing that sort of journey, but any longer maybe not.

numbnuts846

Postby numbnuts846 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:27 pm

I used to do all line rovers and working for the railway I would get them at priv rate (75% discount) :D it's possible to get the over night padd to pnz sleeper all the way to pnz , breakfast in pnz the work your way back up doing the branch lines on day one say as far as Plymouth plenty of cheap hotels near the station which would put you in good shout for Edinburgh the next day. Adding a different view I would bail at Bristol get a train to Newport and travel to Crewe via Shrewsbury then on to Edinburgh. The all line is valid on over nights sleeper trains but cabins are extra tho .
After 23 year gap i am back in the hobby i love and my son of 20 months is following in my foot steps

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:11 pm

numbnuts846 wrote:it's possible to get the over night padd to pnz sleeper all the way to pnz

But you'd miss SO much!
After a fashion, S.W. beyond Plymouth the line snakes it's way through some amazing wooded valleys which go where roads cannot, let alone the (run for the door so you can stick your head out of the window even on the Inter-City trains of the time) journey across Mr Brunel's amazing bridge across the Tamar, the Dawlish sea wall and all the inlets.
Even though it's a long 5 hour-ish trip it's definatly worth a daytime journey. :D
I travelled the Paddington to Redruth direction a couple of times and Redruth back to Paddington many more times coming back from Cornwall.
Fuuny though, once you reach just outside Reading on your way back expect your sinuses to get blocked as you hit London's overspilling pollution cloud! :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:32 am

TBH I think if the OP doesn't like doing more than about 4 hours at a go then an all line rover is a waste of money, it would be better to do one region at a time, say one a year when you could "do" the lines much better over a few years and would have time to see more than just rushing around trying to may sure you get your "money's worth"...

Return to “Real World Railways”