Train Identities

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
TheObserver

Train Identities

Postby TheObserver » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:57 pm

I am aware that http://www.charlwoodhouse.co.uk/rail/query/ will provide details of freight trains when an ID [like: H32205] is entered into the appropriate search field.

I am aware that the ID example used above relates to a weekly 'when required' Monday (rolling over to Tuesday) freight train from Tilbury IRFT to Trostre Works (Llanelli)

I am also aware that the same website has a search facility to enter headcodes, which works for passenger trains but which (for me) does not appear to work for freight trains.

Is there a website where freight train headcode [like: 606J] can be entered and details of the freight train will be presented back to the viewer? Also am I correct in understanding that headcodes can be reused for different trains in different regions? Which if so, could make a headcode search somewhat complicated.

.. .. and finally: IRFT, presumably <something><something> Freight Terminal, can anyone fill in the missing words?
Regards, John, TheObserver,
Swansea, south west Wales, UK.
Our local club website:
http://www.srmg.org.uk

hairyhandedfool

Re: Train Identities

Postby hairyhandedfool » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:45 pm

IRFT = International Rail Freight Terminal

As for headcodes, yes they can be used in different regions, but also at different times, so long as the trains don't come close to meeting there isn't a problem with re-use, for example take 2F21:

0539 Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street (Northern)
0803 Moorgate to Stevenage (Great Northern)
0831 Heathrow Airport Terminal 4 to Heathrow Airport Terminals 1 & 3 (Heathrow Express)
0903 Orpington to London Cannon Street (Southeastern)
0935 Colchester Town to London Liverpool Street (Greater Anglia)
1002 Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street (Northern)
1020 London Waterloo to Woking (South West Trains)
1021 Paignton to Exmouth (Great Western Railway)
1022 Cumbernauld to Dalmuir (ScotRail)
1225 Watford Junction to St Albans Abbey (London Midland)
1244 London Bridge to London Victoria (Southern)
1500 Leeds to Knottingley (Northern)
1502 Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street (Northern)
2022 Cumbernauld to Dalmuir (ScotRail)
2109 Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street (Northern)

Headcodes should always be <number><letter><number><number> but freight trains tend to be scrambled or concealed in some way on public facing outlets, which would make them hard to search for.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

TheObserver

Re: Train Identities

Postby TheObserver » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:30 pm

hairyhandedfool wrote:IRFT = International Rail Freight Terminal.

Thank you, I had wondered if "I" was possibly representing "International", but the "R" had me completely in the dark, .. .. but "Rail" never crossed my mind!! Tutt, Tutt and at my age!!
hairyhandedfool wrote: .. .. .. but freight trains tend to be scrambled or concealed in some way on public facing outlets, which would make them hard to search for.

Ummmmm, Most of the websites I have been looking at use the same alias (FRGT) for the various freight TOC's, it must have something to do with commercial confidentiality.

Thank you.
Regards, John, TheObserver,
Swansea, south west Wales, UK.
Our local club website:
http://www.srmg.org.uk

Return to “Real World Railways”