A1 steam loco trust plans

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

A1 steam loco trust plans

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:43 pm

Thought this was worth a share: https://www.a1steam.com/2016/10/04/tornado-get-state-o-art-charter-train/

Some pretty ambitious plans which have raised a few eyebrows elsewhere!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Lancastrian

Re: A1 steam loco trust plans

Postby Lancastrian » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Very interesting and informative, flying scotsman123. thanks for posting and the link, :D
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Streaks and Teaks

Postby Streaks and Teaks » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Very ambitious, sustainable however? I guess only time will tell.
The MKIII stock idea I don't know if its good or not, the ease of maintenance, wifi and other modern touches is great, but on the other side of the coin it takes away from a genuine steam era feel, Coaching stock is in my opinion the weak point of rail tours as MKIs are the only genuine stock used on them (older and more interesting stock like teaks are in short supply and I would imagine are banned anyway due to safety issues with the construction).
The new loco builds look intresing but I would like to see the P2 built before anything, but I think a B17 would be a better bet than the v4 and v3.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:46 pm

I think it is fairly inevitable: look at the UK railway now, how much loco hauled coach stock is there left? Getting in now while there's current maintenance knowledge and sparing for the mk3 is an intelligent move. Otherwise in 2030 there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth over the ban on steam traction on the network due to a lack of suitable passenger vehicles; 'if only some of the later loco hauled stock had been saved'. Livery now - silver bullet? Sure that would look well

I notice that they are after getting Tornado 90 mph certified, a very good plan. Hopefully if successful they will be able to extend that to the P2 as well. Circa 200 mile runs for 'out and home' tours without a crack of sparrow fart start and return home after dark would thereby become very practical proposiitons.

The further plans, the V4 will be good for secondary route tours and the more extensive preserved lines, and the V3 good for any preserved line. Nice new locos to take over as the LMS/BR 5MT and 4MTT all get to the life expired/unrepairable stage?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:35 pm

When the HSTs finally get withdrawn their coach sets should make good loco hauled stock, providing someone remembers to save some buffers for retro fitting. Might need their seat spacing to adjust them to the needs of rail tour customers.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

markh

Postby markh » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:17 pm

Always say to dream big. Nice there doing a V4. But be nice to see Green arrow run

As for the train it sounds like excellent idea and would be nice to see some Mk3s in. Blood and custard or LNER Teak

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

IanM558

Postby IanM558 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:30 am

Looks like they're being very sensible and planning for the future. :)
OO Gauge layout in the shed - "Shedford"
Construction - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50500
https://www.flickr.com/photos/imulford/

Return to “Real World Railways”