Tender-first operations

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
hairyhandedfool

Re: Tender-first operations

Postby hairyhandedfool » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Tornado was 'out on the mainline' tender first today and presumably will be tomorrow and Thursday aswell as it runs up and down between Skipton and Appleby. I believe it has a maximum speed of 45mph when the tender is leading.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:12 pm

I think you will find that the train is topped and tailed . Tornado only worked tender first for a positioning move.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:45 pm

trainlover23 wrote:I think you will find that the train is topped and tailed . Tornado only worked tender first for a positioning move.

Since the loco is working in both directions and there are no convenient turntables it cannot avoid working tender first in one direction, the video on BBC showed Tornado working tender first/Class 67/Public Coaches/Support Vehicle on the Southbound working, on the northbound working the Loco would be Boiler first, Support Vehicle/Public Coaches/Class 67 on rear.

JIm
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Arriving at Skipton this morning from Appleby:
skipton 16feb17 800.jpg
skipton 16feb17 800.jpg (202.47 KiB) Viewed 670 times

Departing half an hour later:
skipton 16feb17 800 2.jpg
skipton 16feb17 800 2.jpg (156.95 KiB) Viewed 670 times

All the southbound runs this week have been tender first - as LMB says - there's nowhere to turn it ! The diesel is only providing ETH power.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:50 pm

I thought the point of this exercise was for steam to pull a timetabled service at normal fares. I think Tornado would have been coupled in front of the (leading) loco in each direction between Skipton and Appleby. The diesel may have only supplying ETH over that section but would have been in charge before and after that section.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:10 pm

Not sure I understand that Bufferstop, there wasn't another 'leading' loco in the Skipton - Appleby direction, the single 67 stayed at the Skipton end in both directions.

The timetabled service was the 09:47 Leeds to Appleby. This ran as a DMU between Leeds and Skipton as booked, passengers for Appleby then transferred to Tornado for the rest of the journey. At Appleby the train connected with the bus for Langwathby, Lazonby and Armathwaite as the 0947 does not go through to Armathwaite (SLW is in place for a couple of return journeys each day). There wasn't a 'before and after that section' for the diesel to be in charge of. This morning the 158 which had worked the Leeds - Skipton leg followed Tornado north about 15 minutes later after boarding the 30 or so people who had come on spec and hadn't managed to get seats.

It substituted for a DMU on one of the southbound runs too, the other two runs were extras. The fare all week on all the runs was the standard £17 single each way. The formation all week has been:

Southbound - Tornado/67/public coaches/support coach.
Northbound - Tornado/support coach/public coaches/67
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:22 pm

stuartp wrote:Not sure I understand that Bufferstop, there wasn't another 'leading' loco in the Skipton - Appleby direction, the single 67 stayed at the Skipton end in both directions.

that's why I bracketed leading. from the images shown it was impossible to see if anything was on the other end.

stuartp wrote:The timetabled service was the 09:47 Leeds to Appleby. This ran as a DMU between Leeds and Skipton as booked, passengers for Appleby then transferred to Tornado for the rest of the journey. At Appleby the train connected with the bus for Langwathby, Lazonby and Armathwaite as the 0947 does not go through to Armathwaite (SLW is in place for a couple of return journeys each day). There wasn't a 'before and after that section' for the diesel to be in charge of. This morning the 158 which had worked the Leeds - Skipton leg followed Tornado north about 15 minutes later after boarding the 30 or so people who had come on spec and hadn't managed to get seats.

Not the simple replacement that the guy from Northern implied,and probably took far less organising as well.
Thanks for the details.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:12 pm

There are some videos about on youtube, such as.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWh8iykENSA
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:28 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:
trainlover23 wrote:I think you will find that the train is topped and tailed . Tornado only worked tender first for a positioning move.

Since the loco is working in both directions and there are no convenient turntables it cannot avoid working tender first in one direction, the video on BBC showed Tornado working tender first/Class 67/Public Coaches/Support Vehicle on the Southbound working, on the northbound working the Loco would be Boiler first, Support Vehicle/Public Coaches/Class 67 on rear.

JIm

Exactly a positioning move :roll: :roll:

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I thought the point of this exercise was for steam to pull a timetabled service at normal fares. I think Tornado would have been coupled in front of the (leading) loco in each direction between Skipton and Appleby. The diesel may have only supplying ETH over that section but would have been in charge before and after that section.

No it was used to haul the train in ONE direction whilst Tornado hauled it in the other. There being NO turntables or Ys to turn the steamer top and tailing was the only way

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:27 pm

FFS Trainlover, it was NOT top and tailed, Tornado ran round at each end ! Some of us were there !

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:44 am

trainlover23 wrote:
luckymucklebackit wrote:

JIm

Exactly a positioning move :roll: :roll:

A "positioning move" is an ECS or light engine movement, this was a revenue earning service :roll: :roll:
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 am

No doubt it earned Northern a few quid....

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Preserved lines do it all the time:

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:36 pm

At a max of 25mph it wouldn't be much of an issue but when you get up to 60/75 it'll be a bit draughty!

Return to “Real World Railways”