How many sheds

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
michaelasc

How many sheds

Postby michaelasc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:31 am

Just a thought, but does anyone know how many steam sheds there are still operating, including heritage lines?

Again my question is related to maybe making an excursion when I am home on holiday in the UK in the summer.

Michael
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!

b308

Re: How many sheds

Postby b308 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:34 am

How do you mean? With steam or just operating with modern stock? If you want to get round a modern shed you'll need to be part of a organised group or at an open day, the days of nipping round whilst avoiding the Foreman have long gone, you will get into serious trouble these days if you tried and and was caught!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:45 am

Heritage lines are also just as careful about who goes where. If you are allowed in the sheds it will be in an organised party or just to a viewing gallery along one wall. As they set out to attract Joe Public they have to assume that no one knows the potential risks. Organised shed floor visits often start with a safety briefing, and numbers per tour are restricted.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GaryAM

Postby GaryAM » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:03 am

is there one at the Severn Valley Railway?

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:44 am

Grosmont shed on the NYMR is visitable. You can't wander around it at will but there's a viewing gallery inside and walkways outside. There's also an excellent shop.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:20 pm

Didcot is great if you want to wander round a steam age shed with relatively few restrictions on where you can go.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Last time I was at the Midland Railway Centre I found their shed very accessible and the line was one of the most friendly to visit, Great Central also had a walking route to the shed and signalbox. Don't bother with the East Lanc's as their shed is well off limits, ditto Severn Valley (though the shed yard was visible)

jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:02 pm

GaryAM wrote:is there one at the Severn Valley Railway?

I don't think either Kiddy or Bridgnorth sheds are open to the public, though I could be wrong. They have a museum half way at Highley.

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi everyone
Thanks for the great information. I wasn't necessarily aiming to visit the shed interior more like trying to take a picture from as close as I can get.

I am interested though in knowing which ex-steam sheds are still standing and being used either for modern traction or as a genuine steam shed.

Also, do you know if there are any water columns still existing?

Michael

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:44 pm

There's a water column still in use at Appleby although the route is partly closed at the moment. There's also a disused one on the Cumbrian Coast somewhere which no-one has got round to removing yet.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Severn Valley, Gloucestershire and Warwickshire, West Somerset all have water columns on their stations as do many others. You shouldn't have much trouble finding one in use.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:39 pm

stuartp wrote:There's a water column still in use at Appleby although the route is partly closed at the moment. There's also a disused one on the Cumbrian Coast somewhere which no-one has got round to removing yet.

What's the problem with the Appleby route?

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:46 pm

michaelasc wrote:
stuartp wrote:There's a water column still in use at Appleby although the route is partly closed at the moment. There's also a disused one on the Cumbrian Coast somewhere which no-one has got round to removing yet.

What's the problem with the Appleby route?

The winter of 2015-16 has seen services over the route repeatedly disrupted by flooding and a serious landslip north of Armathwaite. Storm Desmond saw the line closed for several days at the beginning of December by flooding at several different locations, whilst the landslip at Eden Brows near Armathwaite has resulted in the closure of the southbound line between Cumwhinton and Culgaith since 29 January 2016 to allow the damaged embankment to be inspected and stabilised. The problem had first been reported in mid-December 2015, but repairs were carried out and services resumed on 22 December. Single line working was in place for several days over the northbound line whilst the remedial work continued and an emergency timetable is in operation. Further ground movement at the site (due to the base of the embankment being eroded by the river and the saturated nature of the surrounding land) led to the complete closure of the line between Appleby & Carlisle on 9 February and it will remain closed until the repair work is completed, with buses replacing trains over this section. Disruption is expected to last "for several months" (according to Network Rail) due to the large volume of material that has moved and the resultant damage to the trackbed.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:44 am

michaelasc wrote:I am interested though in knowing which ex-steam sheds are still standing and being used either for modern traction or as a genuine steam shed.

I don't think there are that many where the original steam shed is still in use... Round Birmingham I can't think of any offhand other than Tyesley, the only old shed that's still around in the centre is the old GJR wagon and carriage works (from 1850!) just near Duddeston station, though it's used as a warehouse and nothing to do with the Railways. Saltley and Monument Lane have long gone.

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/in ... sbxXfKLQdU

Didcot is the only one I can think of offhand as both the SVR ones aren't original.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:12 pm

Don't forget the little one at Swanage! That's original. Also Carnforth, although it would be easier to break into fort Knox than catch a glimpse of anything at Carnforth. On a similar vein, what about Southall?
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Return to “Real World Railways”