Intermodal container gooseneck tunnel dimensions?

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
ZeldaTheSwordsman

Intermodal container gooseneck tunnel dimensions?

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:22 am

Most intermodal containers 40' and longer have a gooseneck tunnel at the doorless end, designed to slip over a raised neck on the trailer chassis that carry them by road. You would think that, as much as these containers are used, the dimensions of the gooseneck tunnel would be commonly listed. Sadly, this is not the case. I had a very frustrating time trying to search for the information, so I turn to forums in the hopes someone who does know will provide them.

brit-in-bama

Re: Intermodal container gooseneck tunnel dimensions?

Postby brit-in-bama » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:00 am

we had one in our yard last week, the tongue, is about 10ft long, made of 4" H beams about 4ft apart with two intermediate crossbeams, and welded to the top of a regular 40ft trailer, thats all I can tell you about it, wasnt paying much attention only noticed it because it was the first one I had ever seen in the USA, oh, and the drivers hate them, the weight is too far back on the trailer, its like pushing a piece of wet string so they said, backwards or forwards! the container was an ordinary 40ft, as there was no provision or capability to put any container over the gooseneck, no locks, or mounting points, if there is one out there it must be a special build, try looking up gooseneck trailers, in Australia, they seem to build the weirdest stuff for trucks to pull.

knottinbotswana

Re: Intermodal container gooseneck tunnel dimensions?

Postby knottinbotswana » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:08 pm

I think you can scale it fairly accurately from this picture on Wikipedia's Intermodal container page. 2.44m wide.

By Theonlysilentbob - Tom Stefanac - Vaughan Weather (http://www.vaughanweather.com) - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=41816735

...and because this so intrigued me how about this.

In this patent application.

Return to “Real World Railways”