Am I just a cynic?

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Ex-Pat

Am I just a cynic?

Post by Ex-Pat »

BBC Ulster TV News has just announced that the Irish Government has withdrawn the Safety Certificate for the newly re-furbished Enterprise sets for the Belfast – Dublin service because there have been 3 instances during the “testing/commissioning” phase of the doors opening whilst en-route!

Don’t know exactly when these occurred but find it strange that Translink’s latest news on this service is on 16th December 2015 but doesn’t mention this fact.

http://www.translink.co.uk/Services/Ent ... uary-2016/

or can we read between the lines here perhaps?

Irish Rail’s website (at the time of writing this) makes no mention at all of the new service.

Am I just a cynic?
Forfarian

Re: Am I just a cynic?

Post by Forfarian »

I can only assume that the "doors opening" was not at designated stations on route to allow passengers to leave or joint the train.
Sounds par for the course on cross border co operation :D :D
Nothing changes
Tim
aka Forfarian
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

The problem with the new trains from what I have heard is indeed that the doors were not aligned properly and this was causing them to open randomly on the journey and not correctly while stopped at the stations.

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
b308

Post by b308 »

Sounds fair enough, someone's found a problem and they've prevented use of the defective stock until it's sorted. What Safety Departments are set up to do!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Sad reflection on the builders though, powered doors aren't particularly groundbreaking technology, or even difficult to examine. London Underground and Otis elevator have used them for the best part of a century!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
b308

Post by b308 »

True, but without knowing the full facts it's difficult to pass judgement! Look at the issues Alstrom had with the Pendos!
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Surprise, surprise - only a day later and the Safety Certificate has been restored!

I wonder if that's the last of it - or am I just a cynic?!