Flying Scotsman: Famous engine back on tracks

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Emettman

Re: Flying Scotsman: Famous engine back on tracks

Postby Emettman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:40 am

The publicity will just have to focus on "Flying Scotsman" rather one the well-known number 4472.
(Now there's a pub quiz question: what number is 60102 better known as?)

With the double dome and German deflectors BR Green is the obvious choice of livery.
(at least it's not coming "pre-weathered" which might even more accurately reflect its state in 1962/3?)
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:46 am

The public (in the UK at least) is totally confused by the difference between a train and a locomotive, even Hattons classify DMU's as locomotives! The best known train for Aussies is probably the Ghan and the best known loco for Americans the Big Boy, but you will always have to differentiate known by the public from known amongst enthusiasts.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:44 pm

jaym481 wrote:Wasn't one of (if not the) the first preserved steamers to go back on the main line?

You're sort of on the right lines with that, what it was is that it was sold out of service in working condition and was exempted from the BR steam ban in 1968. I think it probably was the first preserved main line loco, although things like the Castles (Clun and Pendennis), the GW Prairie 4555 and the LNER K4 Great Marquess were not too far behind.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:17 pm

The important thing, whether the nomenclature, colour, public perception etc is right.. is that a steam locomotive made headline news, purely for returning to service.
in an age where David Beckhams underpants are deemed more newsworthy than the horrors of the world, where people are more interested in Big Brother than a documentary, we should be applauding the fact this has garnered ANY coverage at all really.
It's easy for enthusiasts to be pedantic about locomotive V Train, or train station v railway station. but essentially, get over it. I'm pretty sure a lot of you can't name all the Elements for example, or who won X Factor. be happy and secure in knowing what you know. everyone has different knowledge and hobbies, I know bugger all about Kabbadi, but no doubt they would be aghast that I don't understand the rules.

I'm getting up at 5.30am, with my boy and jumping on the local TRAIN to Man Victoria to see Scotsman steam away, then we will follow her in the no doubt battered and dilapidated class 142 Northern fail pacer back home (maybe, i believe the Bolton line is offline that day). I won't care if my boy says train, or locomotive, I won't care if he grumbles she's not Blue like Gordon. I'll be happy that he's happy to see her, to smell and hear her. she could be a J94 and he'd be just as excited. But I know he'll go in school and tell everyone where he went that morning
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:39 pm

15th May is the day I am looking forward to, 60103 is on the Fife Circle so will I (probably with many others) will be at Dalmeny for the shots of the loco on the Forth Bridge.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:43 pm

will be a bit more glamorous than Manchester Victoria mate, look forward to seeing your pictures!
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

markh

Postby markh » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:44 pm

im looking to see it at carlisle in N.E black

mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:48 am

Just seen her steaming North at a small pedestrian bridge in Ickleford, Hertfordshire in the frost. Magnificent sight, sound and smell. Was surprised just how many people were stood at the secluded spot.

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:08 am

Seemingly delays near Peterborough because of keen fans ON THE LINE! Smart, eh.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:23 am

There were 4 or 5 people on the wrong side of the fence where I was and 1 even leaning against the catenary support post. Mad behaviour

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:51 am

i think Hornby have missed a trick not having a matching loco available to buy today, you can get the railroad one but its in the LNER livery and the BR livery one (£175!) is not due until June

I would have thought there would be a fair bit of profit in having a RR version in the matching livery available today - they pinged an email over advertising their options and if they had one in right livery at around the £100 mark (TTS RR one would be ideal :wink: ) i would have grabbed one

Oranoco

Postby Oranoco » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Me too. Imagine the business a stall at King's Cross would have done.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:51 pm

London, York and the route in between are just a bit far for me to be there to see it, but I was one of the crowd who waited patiently on York's platform to board the first public train pulled by Scotsman, back in public ownership in 2004. Anyone who passed by train or on foot through York station that day couldn't have been unaware that something special was happening, Due to "someone's" decision to leave the carriages overnight in the up sidings the crowd was there for a good two hours longer than expected whilst the crew threaded their way between regular services from one side of the line to the other and back again. When we pulled out there were as many people waiting to see us off as had boarded the train. I won't be sorry if the new guardians ration the number of future events, if they all manage to draw such crowds.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:02 pm

Having seen several photographs of todays run, I don't think that shade of green is right, it looks a bit light for Brunswick green, would like to see it stabled beside Union od South Africa for a comparison.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:00 pm

Oranoco's picture above looks rather dark to me. I don't think Winter sunlight is the best for colour comparison. As you say side by side with another specimen would be better for comparisons.

Return to “Real World Railways”