Unusual sign at Appleford station

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
skyblue

Unusual sign at Appleford station

Postby skyblue » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:57 pm

I was passing through Appleford station on my way to Didcot this morning (see my Didcot pictures here) and I noticed a sign/poster on the northbound platform saying something like 'NOTICE FOR FIRST GREAT WESTERN DRIVERS: Are you stopping at Culham?' - which is the next station to the north. Is this really likely to be a sign to remind them to stop as it immediately appears to be, or is it likely to have some other meaning? I didn't see a corresponding sign for Appleford at Culham, and I've never seen it anywhere else.

b308

Re: Unusual sign at Appleford station

Postby b308 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:20 pm

FGW like many operators have stopping services where not all trains stop at all stations, it'll just be a reminder to the driver to check their calling pattern. Remember it's DOO on there so no guard to remind them!

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:23 pm

b308 wrote:FGW like many operators have stopping services where not all trains stop at all stations, it'll just be a reminder to the driver to check their calling pattern. Remember it's DOO on there so no guard to remind them!

Thanks b308.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Most service routes have a regular stopping pattern
Culham is completely irregular, and due to the distance between stations can easily be overlooked
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:03 pm

There are quite a few of these signs around, some simply say "Where do you stop next?". There are some signs under DOO monitors which say "Check signal aspect". It's all because drivers are human and can make mistakes.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:51 pm

Thank goodness all trains stop at Glencairn :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:05 am

I've only once been on a train that failed to stop at a booked station, Wolverhampton! Even though the driver remembered in time to stop with half of the last coach in the platform it took a surprisingly long time to organise setting back. It would have been quicker for everyone who wanted to get off to walk through to the end door.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:43 am

Oh Mr porter what shall I do
I want to go to Birmingham and you're taking me on to Crewe

It's not a new problem.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:32 am

Bufferstop wrote:I've only once been on a train that failed to stop at a booked station, Wolverhampton! Even though the driver remembered in time to stop with half of the last coach in the platform it took a surprisingly long time to organise setting back. It would have been quicker for everyone who wanted to get off to walk through to the end door.

I've been on several, but the worst was Oxford. We sailed into the platform loop straight through and out the other end!

In the old days that's what they'd have probably done, but nowadays things ain't as simple because safety procedures have changed, and there might have been someone on board who couldn't have walked through so setting back was the only option. Usually the train will just continue to the next available station, in that case Stafford or New Street (assuming it was an express!).

Going back to the stopping pattern, people need to remember that the driver will probably make several (3 or 4) journeys over that route (probably OXF-PAD) in one shift and as the stopping pattern will probably not the same with changes both between OXF and RDG and RDG and PAD that reminder is important.

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:54 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I've only once been on a train that failed to stop at a booked station, Wolverhampton! Even though the driver remembered in time to stop with half of the last coach in the platform it took a surprisingly long time to organise setting back. It would have been quicker for everyone who wanted to get off to walk through to the end door.

It would have been quicker because, unlike in a car that has gone too far, the train driver can't just put the train in reverse and set off, they have procedures to follow.

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:31 pm

I also only once (and I used to travel by train quite frequently). I think it was Dunstable - went through at full speed, lots of waiting surprised would be passengers. Stopped quite sharply but about 2 miles beyond. Sat there for some time then reversed back! Added much time to journey.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:29 pm

whynot wrote:I also only once (and I used to travel by train quite frequently). I think it was Dunstable - went through at full speed, lots of waiting surprised would be passengers. Stopped quite sharply but about 2 miles beyond. Sat there for some time then reversed back! Added much time to journey.

Unless it was 50 years ago it wasn't Dunstable, and I dread to think how fast it was going if it stopped 'quite sharply but about 2 miles beyond'.

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:32 pm

Not quite the same,but I've had drunks on a bus that overshot their stop and then blamed me. :roll:
Pete.

knottinbotswana

Postby knottinbotswana » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:44 am

Peterm wrote:drunks on a bus

I believe that movie went straight to VHS.

senorsenales

Postby senorsenales » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Appleford Halt was unusual that into the 70's tickets were bought at the local Post Office just down the road.
There was a sign by the steps down onto the platform, but like many things at the time I never got a photo.

Return to “Real World Railways”