Dawlish Disaster!

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
GeraldH

Re: Dawlish Disaster!

Postby GeraldH » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:37 am

Bufferstop wrote:There used to be an alternative route, that now ends at Meldon quarry. It wasn't conidered as such in steam days, but modern stock wouldn't notice. Even the routes that IKB rejected wouldn't be impossible today. It's happened before, there's an often printed drawing of Victorian passengers picking their way along a roped off path over the debris with a train waiting at either end.

There are existing proposals to reopen the line from Bere Alston to Tavistock to alleiviate local road congestion. As I understand it, the proposal is designed to facilitate an extension up towards Meldon.

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/transport ... ailway.htm

I believe there are a few obstacles in Tavistock which would have to be overcome, but maybe its time has finally come...
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:22 am

The Daily Telegraph claims that the Environment Agency last month shelved work on the section of coastal railway track at Dawlish that was severely damaged by the sea this week so that it could carry out a survey on the effect it would have on birdlife.

It quotes one Labour peer asking: "Are we looking after birds before humans?" The agency says it "does not recognise" the paper's description of the meeting it had with peers and Network Rail.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:36 am

If the cliff collapses (as it has done several times recently) the birds lose their home, so I'm sure they'd be in favour of work to stabilize things...

Ruddy Quangos... :evil:

Old Man Phil

Postby Old Man Phil » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:56 am

Happier days at Dawlish.
Dawlish sea-front.jpg
Dawlish sea-front.jpg (64.75 KiB) Viewed 1206 times

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:57 pm

thought I had a new shed in my back garden this morning !!! on closer inspection it seems to be some southerners beach hut !!

johnco

Postby johnco » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:47 pm

Dare I say it, IKB got it wrong, but it took well over a century for the design to be proved faulty.
As for a temporary reinstatement, the LNWR had a temporary track (laid in a week) ramped down on to the beach with a temporary bridge over the river when the embankment and bridge were washed away in a flash flood at Llandulas on the Chester and Holyhead line. The temporary works were removed when the line and bridge were reinstated. Although it must be said that the location was not tidal.

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:08 pm

It didn't work from the beginning, and he did it again in Ireland, though they had the sense to rebuild theirs... The trouble is that it's become "iconic" with all the baggage that carries...

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:50 am

b308 wrote:They'll get it done, it would be too embarrassing not to but if they just replace it then it's only a short term fix....

another short term fix !! from Lewisham 1957

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:24 am

Lewisham is hardly affected by strong winds, high tides and massive waves, though! Not a relevant comparison. :roll:

If they are serious about the line being a vital artery to the SW (and I'd debate that point, the Road link is far more important) then they have to seriously consider alternative routes that do not have the problems the Dawlish line does... However the one thing that Lewisham does have in common is that it was a quick fix that never got changed which is exactly what I expect will happen down there.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:15 pm

With the aid of computer modelling it might be possible to create a reef just down the beach which could absorb the power of the incoming waves. It would probably require a few thousand, or million, tons of rock. Say about as much as building a temporary diversion across the beach.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:52 pm

we have to sit and think realistically about this , it was a rare event storm !!! by freak weather conditions , just rebuild it as it was , most other alternatives would in reality be much too expensive , youd probably be able to rebuild 30 x plus for 30x plus freak storms for the cost of some of the other projects

in effect the railway is weather protections and sea defences , yes some properties were in a precarious position but they are still there !!

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:55 pm

b308 wrote:Lewisham is hardly affected by strong winds, high tides and massive waves, though! Not a relevant comparison. :roll:

If they are serious about the line being a vital artery to the SW (and I'd debate that point, the Road link is far more important) then they have to seriously consider alternative routes that do not have the problems the Dawlish line does... However the one thing that Lewisham does have in common is that it was a quick fix that never got changed which is exactly what I expect will happen down there.

you just said exactly what I pointed out !! :roll:

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Ah... Totally misread the jist of your post, sorry! :mrgreen:

Return to “Real World Railways”