Dawlish Disaster!

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
skyblue

Dawlish Disaster!

Postby skyblue » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:55 pm

I've just seen this on the news. It looks pretty bad and they reckon that it'll be closed for 4 to 6 weeks. I feel sorry for anyone who has to use the line regularly, and I don't envy the engineers who have the difficult task of repairing the damage.

End2end

Re: Dawlish Disaster!

Postby End2end » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:02 pm

And to top it all. It's the Intercity 125 high speed line!!!
Just goes to show, us modellers could teach network rail a thing or 2 about baseboards and upkeep of a railway...even if it is 4mm to the foot :D
Isombard must be turning in his grave.
As for the re-route of the line, mentioned by the dopes in whitehall, the local area is too hilly and that's why the line was laid there in the first place.
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

johnco

Postby johnco » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Not only has Dawlish suffered, the Cambrian coast line has been devastated in a similar manner.

whynot

Postby whynot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:17 pm

The Dawlish line has always been in the wrong place! In the mid-70s I used to travel along there every Friday evening and Sunday night for 7 months. I was once woken from my pleasant snooze in an empty compartment as a wave hit the carraige side!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:40 pm

End2end wrote:And to top it all. It's the Intercity 125 high speed line!!!

Not down there it isn't! Any highspeed (if 100mph can be considered such) finishes north of Exeter! Slow Boat to China line down there, a very appropriate description now!

All because a well know Victorian Engineer persuaded the backers that a line along the coast at sea level wouldn't cause any problems... And the did the same again in Ireland...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:56 pm

There used to be an alternative route, that now ends at Meldon quarry. It wasn't conidered as such in steam days, but modern stock wouldn't notice. Even the routes that IKB rejected wouldn't be impossible today. It's happened before, there's an often printed drawing of Victorian passengers picking their way along a roped off path over the debris with a train waiting at either end.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:29 pm

those lines will never support the houses when they collapse on them !!

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 am

I know we shouldn't as it's someones property... but :mrgreen: to the last post!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:11 am

It would be unBritish not to. The one thing we can teach the world is to find humour in the most tragic of circumstances.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:29 am

I just cannot see how this could be repaired in 4 - 6 months, let alone 4 - 6 weeks......

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Lysander wrote:I just cannot see how this could be repaired in 4 - 6 months, let alone 4 - 6 weeks......

Tony

Just so. I'd certainly place a bet on it NOT being reopened in 6 weeks. Now that Devonport no longer a state owned facility is there any national interest/strategic reason why the line should exist at all? Not many marginal seats west of Dawlish!

Or would it not be a better long term investment to somehow by-pass Dawlish sea front entirely?
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:02 pm

Although you would think that they could make more effort with the sea defences. I remember at Scarborough they spent years dumping huge boulders around Marine Drive to protect it - you would have thought they could do something similar? There doesn't appear to be any defences before you hit the railway.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:47 pm

They'll get it done, it would be too embarrassing not to but if they just replace it then it's only a short term fix. Long term surely they must look at an inland route...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:43 pm

They only said opened, not restored. They could probably build a single line on trestles across the gap as a "temporary" measure, whilst they consider the long term repair. If they do go for a permanent repair a concrete deck supported on deep piles might be a better solution. The could stuff the voids between the piles with rubble and build a replica stone sea wall in front of it. I bet IKB would be chuffed, but he'd find it hard to believe that his creation lasted so long, even if it has had to be patched up many times.

highwood

Postby highwood » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:25 am

Any idea what rolling stock is "trapped" South of Dawlish?

I would have thought they could have a seperate timetable from Newton Abbot to Penzance with bus ferry from Exeter.

Loco facilities at Plymouth and Penzance and three or four branch lines to continue running.

Would have thought that passenger disruption could be kept to a minimum.

What regular freight still runs - china clay, scrap, logs, fuel oil?

I know there has been a lot of infrastructure rolling stock and at least eight Class 66's at Exeter over the past few weeks - lucky they were not further South!

Return to “Real World Railways”