Loading Chevrolets onto a train

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
knottinbotswana

Loading Chevrolets onto a train

Postby knottinbotswana » Sun May 26, 2013 10:58 am

Some of you will have probably seen these images before, but some might not. Even if you have, there are other fascinating links on Retronaut that forumites may be interested in. Happy procrastination!

Chevrolet had an interesting solution to maximising the number of cars they could fit inside the US-loading gauge: Loading Chevrolets onto a train.

Lysander

Re: Loading Chevrolets onto a train

Postby Lysander » Mon May 27, 2013 10:20 am

It would be interesting to know how they were held in place securely. Even more interesting is the fact that this car was actually designed to be 'shipped' vertically !

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Thu May 30, 2013 12:25 pm

Lysander wrote:It would be interesting to know how they were held in place securely.

Big screw through the platform into the middle of the chassis and takes a screwdriver with a triangle shaped head to undo the screw. :mrgreen: :lol:

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Lysander wrote:It would be interesting to know how they were held in place securely. Even more interesting is the fact that this car was actually designed to be 'shipped' vertically !

Tony

my guess is a simple drive up to chassis hooking system !! and that looks to be the case with the first empty ramp in picture two i presume it would work by the car driving forwards until it reached the very front where the weight on the front would probably raise chassis hooks the handbrake would be applied once vehicle was in place before raising to the vertical once the weight was on the hooks the vehicle wouldn't go anywhere

that is my theory and i'm probably not far off

in fact looked it up after typing the above and that would be the case they had 4 metal sockets on the chassis that were removed when the car arrived at the dealers

Return to “Real World Railways”