Queen Mary Brake Van in Steventon

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Tiddles

Queen Mary Brake Van in Steventon

Post by Tiddles »

This has been stored at a business park in Steventon Oxfordshire for what must be over 7 years. I do not know who it belongs too or why it is there.
There is also a 4 wheel waggon chassis behind it.

The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”
PJSMITH51

Re: Queen Mary Brake Van in Steventon

Post by PJSMITH51 »

Hi
Probably a bit late, but do you know if the queen mary brake van is still at Steventon. If so do you know the nearest industrial unit where it is based or the approximate Map reference?

Thanks

P J Smith
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Weird, can't find any trace of it on the VCT, all QMBs appear to be on established heritage railways...
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Tiddles

Post by Tiddles »

flying scotsman123 wrote:Weird, can't find any trace of it on the VCT, all QMBs appear to be on established heritage railways...
I think it belongs to heritage railway. There are some other waggons there too. The track is a long way off the GWR main line and has no connection to anything else. Possibility just a length of track layed on the concrete.

The site was an RAF base but do not think it had any sidings.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

Milton depot (to the east of Steventon next to Didcot power station, now Milton Park) and Lockinge depot (now Steventon Storage Facility) to the west were both rail connected. The connections are both now lifted I think (Lockinge certainly is) but they may not have removed all the track within the facilities.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
senorsenales

Post by senorsenales »

That site at Steventon was a Home Office supply depot. About fifty of the Green Goddess fire engines were stored there and I remember seeing a convoy of them heading South on the A34 in the hot Summer of 1976 to go to the New Forest to fight the fires there.

They also had vast supplies of equipment for civil emergencies, and we used some of their kit for the time I was running a temporary prison in the late 80's.

I suspect it has been closed down now, and looking at Google Earth it looks like it is a commercial storage site, and it certainly isn't rail connected.

As for Milton I used to drive past a pile of old rails and a set of stop blocks on an almost daily basis so it looks like that connection has gone as well. That was about eighteen months ago and I haven't been near there since.
codek

Post by codek »

Such a shame these images appear lost now.

Dies anyone know if they can be retrieved and perhaps kept somewhere more longstanding?