Did A4 Pacific EVER run without streamlining?

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
GunnerBill

Did A4 Pacific EVER run without streamlining?

Postby GunnerBill » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:12 am

Did these Pacifics ever even move without the front streamling?

I know the side valances were removed for wartime running but is there even a single photo of one moving (itself!) without the front streamlining in place?

Question as a result of idle chatter tha would like to be answered! :D

markeg

Re: Did A4 Pacific EVER run without streamlining?

Postby markeg » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:52 am

Hi Gunnerbill,

I am aware of some video footage from the 80's when A4 Mallard was being restored and it ran up and back on a short section of track at the National Rail Museum without its outer casing on it. There was what looks like a 5and half inch live steam loco running beside it.
But to answer your question, the answer is no. That is how they were built. They were no modifications of an A3 or such like.

Mark in OZ

Old Man Phil

Postby Old Man Phil » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:53 pm

No lads. From the very beginning they were designed to be streamlined and were not any kind of 'conversion' to an existing class. Having said that, the boiler, excluding smokebox was interchangeable with the A3 unit and towards the end, many A3s were running with reconditioned A4 boilers. No A4s were ever ran in traffic whilst shorn of their casing. In keeping with the streamlined trend, Gresley decided to give the Eastern Region a bit of a boost and had 2 B17s streamlined along the lines of the A4s..Reclassified B17/5, they were indeed just a casing over the existing Boiler and the normal 6 wheel tender was built up to give the impression of the 8 wheeled A4 tender. They carried the Names East Anglian and City of London and headed up the East Anglian express from london Liverpool Street to Norwich.They ran in this form until 1950 when BR had them rebuilt back to normal. I built an O gauge model of East Anglian back in 2000.
Attachments
East Anglian 2.jpg
East Anglian 2.jpg (199.17 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Last edited by Old Man Phil on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

GunnerBill

Postby GunnerBill » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:01 am

Thanks guys!

I lose! :(

Return to “Real World Railways”