Travel Warning for the Northwest

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
hairyhandedfool

Travel Warning for the Northwest

Postby hairyhandedfool » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Just in case any of you are thinking of travelling between Manchester and pretty much anywhere north west of there in the next day or two, please be aware that there are currently buses replacing trains between Manchester and Newton-le-Willows (for Liverpool and North Wales) and between Manchester Piccadilly and Bolton/Wigan (for Southport, Preston, Blackpool and Scotland) due to a train derailment and fire at Ordsall Lane Junction in Salford.

Trains are able to run between Manchester and Liverpool via Warrington Central and there are services running between Manchester Victoria and Southport (via Wigan)/Clitheroe (via Bolton)/Blackpool (via Bolton), but be aware these services will be busier than normal and are subject to delay. Tickets to Scotland are being accepted on routes via York.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

luckymucklebackit

Re: Travel Warning for the Northwest

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:28 am

Unfortunately for all it was a class 47 that has derailed and the fuel tank punctured. There is a video here of the fire-fighting efforts http://www.itv.com/news/granada/story/2013-01-23/train-derails-in-manchester/#video-firefighters-tackle-blaze-on-derailed-train_150767. Unlikely that 47500 will see action anytime soon, (or perhaps ever).

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:29 pm

the "well informed" news keeps saying it was a freight train. Looked like a passenger charter from the pics.
i'm up that way tomorow, will see what damage i can see, if any
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:58 pm

It was an empty train to Carnforth, so only four crew onboard, no injuries among them. The lead loco (47854) and coaches have apparently moved off, 47500 was supposed to be being righted for movement earlier today and track inspections and repairs expected to take place today, not sure what has actually happened though or what you will see there tomorrow Hiff (it's the bridge over Ordsall Lane just behind the Argos Extra store). I'm still hoping they have everything sorted for tomorrow, otherwise I might actually have a job to do...... :shock: :lol:

EDIT: Just heard 66046 is on site with a crane (can't confirm that though), so they might be gone by tomorrow morning, could be a long day for me tomorrow though......

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:01 am

Got to love the video "Firefighters Tackle Blaze At Derailed Train" there is 1 with the hose, all the rest are standing well back. He must have pulled the short straw :lol:

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Ordsall Lane Junction has now reopened and trains are running again, there may be some residual delays/cancellations around, but it's all on the move.

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:51 pm

dissapointingly just a few engineers on site when i had a mooch
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

Return to “Real World Railways”