locomotion on bbc 2

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
markh

locomotion on bbc 2

Postby markh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 am

so did anyone see the first of the 3 part documentary on the railways last night its a 3 part doucumentary on the railways & is hosted by dan snow. last nights episode talked bought the birth of the railways & was quite intresting but i have a quick question for any one who saw it or have seen the rocket . during the show dan went to a scienec musem to talk about the rocket now is the loco in the musem a replica or real thing as i can rember looking in a book & said that it was the real thing but i guess it would have been hard looking after a loco for all then years but i could be wrong

mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

hiffano

Re: locomotion on bbc 2

Postby hiffano » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:52 am

I suspect it is in Manchester Science Museum and i "think" it is a replica.

I need to watch the show.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

GarrettTheThief

Postby GarrettTheThief » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:57 am

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I also saw it. I can't wait for the next two parts.
"Thanks for taking that personality test for me."
"I'm not sure you'll find it useful. I answered everything with a joke."
"Oh, it told me a lot. For instance, you're not funny."

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:24 pm

The locomotive that Dan was filmed with was the original, which was heavily modified following the Rainhill Trials. It is currently in the Science Museum in London.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

poliss

Postby poliss » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:06 pm

I have the book, The Engineering and History of Rocket. From reading that you will see that the one in the Science Museum is the real thing.
I'd prefer they used a real railway historian on these TV shows, such as Bob Symes, instead of Dan Snow who, from what I've seen on his other programmes, doesn't have a clue about history.

peak experience

Postby peak experience » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:13 pm

these shows are just same old same old...nothing to interest us there i would have thought

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 pm

I quite like snow, he's a good link between serious folks and the less enlightened. To say he doesn't know anything is a bit harsh. I believe his key area of knowledge is military history, and I would wager he knows plenty more than the average joe.

Bushey Troughs

Postby Bushey Troughs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Dan Snow, why.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:36 pm

peak experience wrote:these shows are just same old same old...nothing to interest us there i would have thought

agree, apart from some fancy graphics it was nothing new, indeed there were a lot of facts missed, such as the name of the record breaking arch bridge described early in the programme (the Causey Arch??). I also disliked the programme being broken up by meaningless short sections of animation, obviously the BBC making the programme "ad break" ready for broadcast by a commercial station.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

bristolmidland

Postby bristolmidland » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:52 pm

I saw the Dan Snow programme last night too. I thought it was a typically modern piece of BBC output. Too much whizzing about in helicopters and showing Dan Snow behaving all macho. He is only there to entice the ladies to watch. What we all have to remember is that we have a genuine interest in our railway heritage whereas the average viewer couldn't care less. Fred Dibnah covered all the same things in his series over the years and from an engineering background.
Why, oh! why didn't they get Christian Wolmer to at least advise on it as he wrote what is, in my opinion, the definitive book on the subject?
So they had to dig out more rock for the London to Birmingham line than was dug out for the pyramids! Why not go the whole hog and compare it to football pitches.

I did enjoy the parts about Lord Sefton and the Manchester Liverpool line, well until the first railway death crept in again. They always have to bring that up.

Some of the programme was very good and informative but that black and white link of God knows what they kept showing summed up the two second attention span generation to me. If you want to see a great documentary which treats it's audience as adults watch "Italy unpacked" with Andrew Graham Dixon.

A point about elf and safety.
Why did Dan have to wear all that stuff to walk down a railway line which was obviously being worked on. I can understand the high Viz but safety glasses, come on. Then he was allowed to look all cool and macho while sailing aboard a yacht in the Solent while not even wearing a life jacket.

Sorry about this bit of a rant but the BBC have annoyed me once too often. Mostly by showing the wrong loco on the wrong line in the wrong part of the country. If I see one more spam can supposedly taking someone to London from the North on a single track line at 20mph I will go mad. Come on. They spend a fortune on locations and costume so at least they could try to make the railway look real. Don't get me started on "industrial workers" with oversize hats and pristine white shirts.

My final point, why didn't they let Michael Portillo front the programme? At least he knows a bit about it and , in my opinion, does an excellent job in Great British Railway Journeys and he saved the Settle and Carlisle!
On top of everything else my football team is owned by chicken farmers.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:09 pm

bristolmidland wrote:My final point, why didn't they let Michael Portillo front the programme? At least he knows a bit about it and , in my opinion, does an excellent job in Great British Railway Journeys and he saved the Settle and Carlisle!

Went to see him in Stratford-on Avon just before Christmas. Probably says the same at every venue, described himself as one of the country's "Former, Future Prime Ministers" a select but growing group, to which he said to great amusement, he would be delighted to welcome either Mr Milliband. When he started taking questions someone started by thanking him for The Settle & Carlisle, for which he returned his thanks "as always", the only ministerial action for which he feels he will be always remembered.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:21 pm

sadly, as mentioned last week, BBC have to cater to the lowest common denominator, and not the knowledgeable folk.
althoguh I was watching something on ITV the other day, they started "i think" on a pendo, then all external shots were a voyager

poliss

Postby poliss » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Dan and Peter Snow just rehash previous innacurate 'facts'. Their Battle of Britain programme being a prime example. They never do any original research.
The BBC don't always get it wrong. The Tankies programme with Mark Urban, someone that actually served in a tank regiment, was excellent.

bristolmidland

Postby bristolmidland » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 pm

I agree Poliss. That was a very good programme. My wife worked on" spitfire women" and one about the desert rats made a few years ago. She had to go to Stuttgart to attend an Africa Corps reunion which Rommels son attended.
On top of everything else my football team is owned by chicken farmers.

johnco

Postby johnco » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Who said that Dan Snow knows nothing about history, he has a 1st. class hons degree in Modern History from Balliol Coll. Oxford.

Return to “Real World Railways”