WCML Franchise

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
b308

WCML Franchise

Postby b308 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Well the rumors abound that Virgin will lose the franchise to First... In some respects it's a shame as, from my experience of Chiltern and Anglia on a trip from Brum to Colchester today they seem to be the only ones that have spent their money on new stock rather than revamping 20/40 year old stuff which should have been put out to grass long ago... Travelling on Anglia I recon the only thing they'd done to their trains was paint the outside, other than that it was pure BR!

If I worked for Virgin Rail I'd currently be very worried for my job unless I was approaching retirement in which case I'd think that First taking over could be the best thing since sliced bread...

johnco

Re: WCML Franchise

Postby johnco » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:04 pm

I remember when the whole lot were owned and operated by one organisation which to me seems the best way to run a railway.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:25 pm

johnco wrote:I remember when the whole lot were owned and operated by one organisation which to me seems the best way to run a railway.

I'll second that (and third it!)

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:31 am

Ok if the Gov that owns it invests in it... Over here they never did... Trouble is the present system is neither one thing nor the other... There are plus points for both, remember during the heyday of the railways in this country they were privately owned!! :wink:

wobblybob

Postby wobblybob » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 am

So, the WCML goes to First Group. Beardy says this could be the end of Virgin involvement in rail. Well, as the saying goes, 'Every cloud has a silver lining'!

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:45 am

I think its a shame virgin lost it, they did a good job running it. Doubt first will do a good job running it, well not as good as virgin have done anyway.

Jacob :)

Peterdn6

Postby Peterdn6 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 am

Well if first run there trains like the first buses in my area,well the the trains will be far and few and services cut i suspect.
Cede Nullis

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:55 am

wobblybob wrote: 'Every cloud has a silver lining'!

Except they were the only franchisee to commit to replacing all their stock with brand new stuff, they may not have got the design quite right (but neither did BR) but at least they tried, which is more than can be said about the rest, especially First...

I'm quite sad to see them go, they wanted to change the way the railways were run but found themselves tied up in politics instead, had they been given a free reign who knows how good (or bad!) they could have made things, I'd have at least like to have seen them try...

Well back to the old fashioned way and look out for the brown envelopes, WCML staff... :x

dl32249

Postby dl32249 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:22 am

Looking forward to a Pendolino in First liverly :)

numbnuts846

Postby numbnuts846 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:27 am

You will see the west coast go down the pan. You should see the state of the trains i work. Black and yellow tape covering up rust holes . Repairs books are full of outstanding faults that never gets fixed until its to late
After 23 year gap i am back in the hobby i love and my son of 20 months is following in my foot steps

ERMick

Postby ERMick » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:58 am

I see there are rumours floating around that First have bid way too much for the franchise, and therefore they'll not be able to make a go of it so will probably end up walking away just as happened with Nat Express the ECML.

I also see people saying that Virgin were actually quite prudent and weren't prepared to bid that high knowing full well they'd make a massive loss.

We shall see, but if this does turn out to be true then it'll pretty much show up the current policy of railway privatisation in this country for the absolute rip-off that it is.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:03 pm

ERMick wrote:I see there are rumours floating around that First have bid way too much for the franchise, and therefore they'll not be able to make a go of it so will probably end up walking away just as happened with Nat Express the ECML.

We shall see, but if this does turn out to be true then it'll pretty much show up the current policy of railway privatisation in this country for the absolute rip-off that it is.

And I'm sure someone will end up with a 7 figure bonus for doing bog all
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:26 pm

ERMick wrote:I see there are rumours floating around that First have bid way too much for the franchise, and therefore they'll not be able to make a go of it so will probably end up walking away just as happened with Nat Express the ECML.

I've also heard this, and think that it is a very real possibility of what mite happen to First. How can they afford to bid £5Billion , and keep trains running up and down there lines, and still don't run out of money.

Jacob :)

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Very disappointing news. Virgin did a very good job with the WCML - something I am sure First Group will not be able to emulate. The First Class on Virgin trains was apparantly second to none. I will have to experience it before it goes! I doubt customer service on First West Coast will be any good.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Credit where credit is due .Virgin took on the WCML at a time when it was basically falling apart and turned it round, they also took over Cross Country another notorious performer and to a degree turned it around. OK Voyagers may not be every bodies cup of tea but the work to a degree. midland Mainline quietly improving the St Pancras route and along comes Stagecoach and reaps some of the rewards.

Return to “Real World Railways”