Another level crossing collision, and a confessional driver?

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
wobblybob

Another level crossing collision, and a confessional driver?

Postby wobblybob » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:18 pm

From the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-16640983

Note the car driver's, probably unintended, confessional comments - my paraphrasing highlighted:

Driver Sarah Frampton, 28, of St Newlyn East said she had not seen the warning and was "lucky to be alive".

No-one was injured in the collision. She said: "I've been rushed off my feet all day and was not aware that there was a warning at the crossing. <Perhaps I shouldn't have been driving in these circumstances.>

"I don't often come down that road. I was travelling fairly slowly and out of the blue saw the train. <On unfamiliar roads I don't bother to take extra care.>

"I slammed on the brakes, but it was coming too fast and hit me. <Trains should travel much more slowly and their drivers should be on the lookout for inattentive motorists who have had a busy day.> It was quite overwhelming how close I was. I am very thankful to be alive."

Thankfully no-one was hurt.

Bob

Alexander Court

Re: Another level crossing collision, and a confessional driver?

Postby Alexander Court » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:26 pm

I learned how to be safe at a level crossing when i was very young, perhaps 2 or 3 or 4 ish, in east tilbury we still had manned gates which were lovely things, i'm sure there are plenty of members who will remember them :wink:

Clearly she is an idiot.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:27 pm

reading between the lines

"I was too busy texting/chatting on the phone/doing make up/fiddling with ipod to notice several hundred tonnes of train approaching"
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Yes, it's amazing that accidents don't happen more often because of those reasons!

Foo

Postby Foo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:53 pm

She's from st newlyn east. Nuff said. They eat babies.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Her comments display an attitude to driving that suggests she ought to be banned until she has learned to do it responsibly! In view of the "This is silly" thread perhaps the train driver should sue her for the shock and distress she doubtless caused him.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

amsie

Postby amsie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Alexander Court wrote:I learned how to be safe at a level crossing when i was very young, perhaps 2 or 3 or 4 ish, in east tilbury we still had manned gates which were lovely things, i'm sure there are plenty of members who will remember them :wink:

Clearly she is an idiot.

Very close, I learned to be safe at crossings at the Pitsea crossing, which is unmanned, and the nurerous foot crossings just outside of Pitsea towards Tilbury.

Im not sure what the lady didnt see and I don't know the crossing, but usually I find the flashing amber lights, then the red lights a bit of a clue that there might be a train approaching.

Foo

Postby Foo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Google Street View shows how visable it is! Fool!!

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:12 pm

I thought I recognised that crossing - if you are half awake you can see if anything's coming. I was quite surprised to see a 125 using it however.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

thomas the plank engine

Postby thomas the plank engine » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Was having a BLONDE moment

Spec-Savers should be her next port of call as well.

Ian

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:54 pm

That crossing looks an absolute cert for the suggestion of installing ordinary traffic lights, with enforcement cameras, and a yellow box.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

NickB

Postby NickB » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 pm

amsie wrote:
Alexander Court wrote:I learned how to be safe at a level crossing when i was very young, perhaps 2 or 3 or 4 ish, in east tilbury we still had manned gates which were lovely things, i'm sure there are plenty of members who will remember them :wink:

Clearly she is an idiot.

Very close, I learned to be safe at crossings at the Pitsea crossing, which is unmanned, and the nurerous foot crossings just outside of Pitsea towards Tilbury.

Im not sure what the lady didnt see and I don't know the crossing, but usually I find the flashing amber lights, then the red lights a bit of a clue that there might be a train approaching.

Totally off topic but are there any more members on ere from my locality in sunny Tilbury-on-sea??? (apart from you Malc 'doodlebug') But agreed, she's a plonker.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:40 pm

As someone involved in a crash involving a woman driver texting, this is just another classic example of why I get so infuriated that my insurance premiums are nearly twice that of someone with the title of Miss or Mrs.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:33 am

Trains should travel much more slowly and their drivers should be on the lookout for inattentive motorists who have had a busy day.

Seriously? Have you seen all the other news about trains being late and being delayed? Slowing down trains? Yes that'll solve everyone's dilemma's! Why don't dumb drivers just be more on the look out for these large, heavy, usually with Yellow Warning Panels on the front, trains?

Also, if your an inattentive motorist, then why the fudgecakes where you driving? What will you say to the mum of the child you hit after not noticing it run out into the road?

*rant over*

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas or time.

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 am

You wouldnt, you would sue the child and her parents for damaging the front of the car... oh and then the car company for selling you the car in the first place as without it the incident would never have happened. Then theres the......

I could go on
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Return to “Real World Railways”