Disruption to services caused by....

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
sheep21

Re: Disruption to services caused by....

Postby sheep21 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:36 pm

I was trying to get back from birmingham when it snowed badly a few weeks ago.
The main issue we all had was not that our train was only called 30mins late and was meant to be standing on a platform with another train on it. It was the lack of staff available to talk to to actually tell us what was happening. Eventually (2 hours later) we got a train going to euston (London Midland, not Virgin!) but that was cancelled at northampton as the doors were freezing, as it is we waited another 30mins for another service to euston, again provided my LM.
We got in 4.5 hours later than we should have but we are just thankful that we got back and we got home. The only gripe was that there were no staff on the platforms at Birmingham Newstreet and the departure boards were blatantly incorrect.

Thankyou London Midland for getting me home... eventually.

Edited to correct TOC name.
Last edited by sheep21 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:43 pm

MML don't exist any more and never ran from New Street, so it must have been a ghost train!

On a more serious note, NR run New Street and are the ones wearing blue HV vests, if there were none on the platform you'd find them on the concourse and in the Customer Info Booth, also on the concourse. Did you look there as I can't believe anyone would hang around two hours on a platform without looking elsewhere for help?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:54 pm

b308 wrote:MML don't exist any more and never ran from New Street, so it must have been a ghost train!

On a more serious note, NR run New Street and are the ones wearing blue HV vests, if there were none on the platform you'd find them on the concourse and in the Customer Info Booth, also on the concourse. Did you look there?

Therein lies the problem - getting between platform and concourse is the major part of the passenger problems at New Street. If the station is at all busy the stairs and the single escalator per pair of platforms simply cannot handle the volume of people. When Virgin ran XC I always looked out for the little huddle of red jackets at the top of the stairs, only when they descended to the platform was it reasonably certain that your train would arrive and depart from that one.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:21 pm

b308 wrote:MML don't exist any more and never ran from New Street, so it must have been a ghost train!

On a more serious note, NR run New Street and are the ones wearing blue HV vests, if there were none on the platform you'd find them on the concourse and in the Customer Info Booth, also on the concourse. Did you look there as I can't believe anyone would hang around two hours on a platform without looking elsewhere for help?

My apologies, London Midland. Yes I know NR run Newstreet cheers. We saw one of their people, in NR Blue HV, once for 5mins and then not again, the mrs went to the desk for info after an hour, only to be told to go back to the platform where she rejoined me and 70-80 or so other passengers wanting to go south, in the end she gave us the wrong advice as the next london bound train came in 3-4 platforms away from where the boards and the information desk told us to wait! Also one desk with 2 people manning it with a packed station is ridiculous, especially as the entire timetable seems to have been shot to pieces, the que was over 100 meters long! NR. Not good service.

In the end thankgod for London Midland as the only Virgin trains I saw going anywhere were going to glasgow. Their staff were, helpful, kept us informed and didnt just ignore us, which seemed to be the case with Network Rail that evening!

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Well you need to complain!

wobblybob

Postby wobblybob » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:46 pm

I see a couple of TOCs have taken the opportunity to milk the 'poor weather' for all it is worth. Merseyrail has a drastically reduced timetable until 4 January and NX East Anglia and Stansted Express services to the airport are also drastically reduced until 7 January 'following recent poor weather conditions' - as reported on NRE website.

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:19 am

Yes I've noticed that... and many others have done it, not just those two... After the really bad day about 1 1/2 weeks ago XC looked at running an Sunday (hourly) service the following day... Those high up decided not to and we managed to run most services the next day. Just out of interest the Merseyrail thing isn't to do with Engineering works, is it, as NR are having a field day this holiday period!

Our PPM (the under 10 minute late target) has really taken a hammering over the past few weeks, though we seem to be one of the few TOCs that tried to run a full service every day throughout the bad weather, even though it was a bit messy from time to time, including stopping short of destinations (like Aberdeen) where we weren't allowed to even try to get to by NR... I think the worst day came out at about 20% of trains "on time", I was on that day and it wasn't a pretty sight!

I envy those lines where they are the main operator and are not affected by others' trains... we get caught by everyone else and their dog! I remember one night watching the ECML staff taking 20 minutes to get the doors shut on a Mk4 set at Newcastle due to ice... Ours came in (a voyager) and I was expecting the same but we were away in no time! The icicles hanging off the steps and the front of the trains was something to see though...

Incidentally, a train got derailed in a tunnel recently, luckily causing very little damage, which was caused by a sheet of ice falling off the roof of the tunnel... Seems that water was draining down one of the ventilation shafts and freezing on the roof of the tunnel when it got too heavy it fell on the line and the train ran over it.... I was speaking to a Northern Guard the other day and it seems they made the first train of the day go at extreme caution through all the tunnels on the Leeds Manchester run, the train was over an hour late in, though he said some of the icicles they knocked off had to be seen to be believed!

llanigraham

Postby llanigraham » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:20 pm

PTmodeller wrote:What units can MSPs be fitted to?

Nearly all of them.

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:41 am

I don't think that they can be fitted to the High Speed trains (HSTs, Pendos, Voayagers, etc)?

manna

Postby manna » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:15 pm

G'day Gents

Many years ago steam loco's used to be stationed overnight in tunnels to stop the icicles from being formed :shock:
manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:21 pm

On some nights in the last few winters Midland Metro has sent out a couple of trams to keep running up and down the line to prevent ice forming on the overhead wire. There's an old tale, might just be true, that the Birmingham tramways would, when snow was expected, leave all the lights on in the huge semicircular shelters at the Lickey terminus, as they were powered from the overhead and drew enough current to keep the wires warm.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Real World Railways”