Question about Guard's lamp

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Phipps

Question about Guard's lamp

Postby Phipps » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:40 pm

On Sunday,I took Alfie along to the NNR's youngster's day at Weybourne for a few hours.We went into a disused brake/guard's van & my workpal John was doing a 15min talk about the duties of a guard.He explained a lot quite thoroughly & in doing so I forgot the bit about a lamp that they used to use.
I recall it began with the letter B & was a metal hand-held item like a torch with a handle that could be attached to the rear of a train if needed.
It had a normal white light,a red filter,green filter & also an amber filter that John said would mainly be used in a marshalling yard.
Anyone got any ideas as to what I'm referring to here?
I know I could ask John,but he only drives a bus P/T like me & is mainly stationed at Fakenham,so I rarely see the chap..........

vidal

Re: Question about Guard's lamp

Postby vidal » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:08 am

I think Bardic is what you are after.

V.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

Its a bardic all right! Great heavy thing, but usefull if you came across any drunk passengers late at night for defence purposes! The trouble is its not very portable, hence we now all use a black thing which uses LEDs and clips to our belt so we can carry it around easily, it also has a metal bracket so it can be clipped to the back (or front) of a train in case of light failure!

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:50 am

Yep, Bardic. Hopeless as a torch (they leak all over the place, eat batteries and the light is pathetic) but excellent for knocking in point scotches and, as b308 says, fending off drunks. No idea what the name means / stands for.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:04 am

I did wonder how it was spelled.Thank you for the information.The example John had was yellow outside & just looked like a metal-cased old Ever Ready torch.
My Mum did actually buy both my brother & I a torch(tube style) with red,green & amber filters.The sides even had amber flashers.
I'll be able to remember Bardic though.............

poliss

Postby poliss » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:22 am

I suspect Bardic is just the name of the company that makes them. Now taken over by Honeywell.

Return to “Real World Railways”