How many lifting jacks are typically used raising a loco ?

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

How many lifting jacks are typically used raising a loco ?

Postby 0121modeller » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:54 pm

As the title question states, how many loco jacks are used ?
I would imagine 4 jacks is the obvious answer, but are there exceptions where more either side of loco would be used for heavier loco's or major chassis work ?

& also where would the typical jacking points be ? ... (as on a motor vehicle there are certain "safe locations" for lifting) , I'm thinking of a class 47 in particular, as I believe the side panels play a major part as to keep the body rigid rather than the chassis doing so.

Many thanks for replies, Any photo's or links greatly appreciated :D ,
Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

50035 Ark Royal

Re: How many lifting jacks are typically used raising a loco ?

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:49 pm

0121modeller wrote:As the title question states, how many loco jacks are used ?
I would imagine 4 jacks is the obvious answer, but are there exceptions where more either side of loco would be used for heavier loco's or major chassis work ?

& also where would the typical jacking points be ? ... (as on a motor vehicle there are certain "safe locations" for lifting) , I'm thinking of a class 47 in particular, as I believe the side panels play a major part as to keep the body rigid rather than the chassis doing so.

Dave.

Oddly enough no 47's dave but i do have this 50045 Achilles recieves it's last ever E exam and repaint from Large Logo to RNSE August 89 on the jacks at Laira
cheers
Ian
Ps i also have Royal Oak the following year if you want :wink:
Attachments
img689.jpg
img689.jpg (50.58 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:29 pm

0121modeller wrote:As the title question states, how many loco jacks are used ?

Dave.

Hi Dave,

The images below show a Irishrail 2600 series 2/car railcar set up on the jacks. A total of 4 jacks to hoist the railcar up in the air. If the bogies need to be removed, then there are 4 more jacks, 2 to each bogie that will rise along with the 4 lifting jacks so as to lower the bogies to the ground leaving the railcar body in the air. See photos below I made at Drogheda Railcar Centre.

I guess the same or similar arrangement would also be used to lift and remove a locomotive bogie etc.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Cheers for that photo Ian :) , It looks like in this instance more than 2 jacks were used either side of that class 50.

(I always knew your class 50 photo's would be of interest in one way or another !! :wink: ) Cheers Ian :D

Thanks also Wilson (K9-70) , those photo's etc are also helpfull & very much appreciated for a long awaited modelling project I have in mind.

Cheers Chaps :D

Dave.

bobby55016

Postby bobby55016 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:55 am

i've seen Deltics with 4 on each side (total 8 )
funny that. because logic makes you think 4 would be enough really
Bobby Hill

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:28 am

Cheers Bobby, I would agree & thought that may have been the case quite often.

The type of jacks I'm looking for is not so much the fixed installed type as seen in the loco sheds (although photo's already kindly posted are a good & useful referance as they give a viual insight to jacking point area's , written info/desciption given etc) .., I was thinking more of the "outside depot / yard area sort of portable jacks, as I've recently purchased some Bachmann loco jacks & have 2 more packs (4 in each pack) on thier way to me from Hattons..,

I have a photo of my own that I took about 10 years ago of a class 40 , the jacks used look rather differant to the winding screw type jacks from Bachmann,
The jacks seen here look more like large pyramid style axle stands for my car ..., I'd always wondered who I'd borrowed mine out to & never recieved back ! :lol: ;
The photo quality is too poor to give a clue whats holding the other end up , but it looks like a stack of wooden pallets is obscuring the view of other end.

Ian ., if you have more pic's with 50's / Royal Oak, or whatever else you have (jacked up), then please do post them up :D

I have decided to re-generate a major part of my current layout, the current station has no space as to "move trains" & so it'll make way for an area/yard sidings for "stored servicable" & dilapidated locos, a couple of wagons & a class 108 DMU..., plan is to have a couple of loco's on axle stands / up on loco jacks.
I've come to this decision as lack of space restricts much train/stock movement, apart from 3 engines taking it in turn pacing back & forth on thier own.

Any other photos with loco's jacked up/on axle stands, especially featuring designated jacking points greatly appreciated as for referance purposes for modelling such scenes.

Thanks for all help on this so far chaps :) ,
Dave.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:22 am

During a visit to Glasgow Works many years ago, just about everything was lifted by a set of 4 jacks, typically one at each corner
This included a Class 37, a Class 47, a Class 314 EMU vehicle, and a Mark 2 coach
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:30 am

0121modeller wrote:Cheers for that photo Ian :) , It looks like in this instance more than 2 jacks were used either side of that class 50. ...

To me that picture looks like 2 jacks on each side and a couple of spares not in use. Can't see why you would need more than 4 for most jobs.

Cheers
Dave

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:46 am

0121modeller wrote:Cheers Bobby, I would agree & thought that may have been the case quite often.

The type of jacks I'm looking for is not so much the fixed installed type as seen in the loco sheds (although photo's already kindly posted are a good & useful referance as they give a viual insight to jacking point area's , written info/desciption given etc) .., I was thinking more of the "outside depot / yard area sort of portable jacks, as I've recently purchased some Bachmann loco jacks & have 2 more packs (4 in each pack) on thier way to me from Hattons..,

There are a couple of different types in use but the 'fixed' ones generally in use now aren't fixed at all, they can be repositioned to accommodate different length vehicles. The Bachmann ones are a pretty good representation of these. I'm not aware of any depots currently using this type outside but that doesn't mean there aren't any, and of course what BR did in earlier years may be different.

DMU/EMUs - typically one at each corner of each vehicle, the set at Neville Hill can lift a 4-car 333 set in one lift which saves a lot of time splitting sets just to get at one vehicle.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi Dave as requested here is Royal Oak June 1990 was lucky enough to get round the depot and see my second fave 017 by the jacks having last E :( and been repainted in RNSE dark blue.Maybe no interest as it not actually on the jacks but still interesting all the same as only 2 each side in this pic.
Attachments
img412.jpg
img412.jpg (51.77 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks to all who have replied :D ,

Ian, photo is great, as it shows the same type of jacks made by Bachmann that I've just purchased :D .

So I'd summize from info given from replies, its usally 2 each side of loco , possibly near bulkhead area behind the cab ends i would imagine ? & more jacks used if the work involved is bogie removal or maybe needing major work to chassis.

thanks chaps,
Dave.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Not so sure about the older stuff but if you look down the sides of the more modern MUs such as the Voyagers you'll see the jacking points marked out with a little symbol, a sort of tilted line over a triangle.

daryl43068

Postby daryl43068 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:50 pm

Hope this image helps, maybe more on there but internet being very slow at the moment!

But four jacks are generally used.

Cheers

Daryl

Return to “Real World Railways”