Railway sleepers painted white or yellow

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Railway sleepers painted white or yellow

Postby 0121modeller » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:21 am

Whilst once following a disused rail route in dudley , I noticed that the odd occasional sleeper was painted over in either white or yellow & sometimes had a number painted on them.
(If I remember correctly wooden sleepers were painted white, & concrete sleepers painted yellow)
Does anyone know a reason for painting the sleepers ?

Cheers :) ,
Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Re: Railway sleepers painted white or yellow

Postby 0121modeller » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:16 pm

0121modeller wrote:Whilst once following a disused rail route in dudley , I noticed that the odd occasional sleeper was painted over in either white or yellow & sometimes had a number painted on them.
(If I remember correctly wooden sleepers were painted white, & concrete sleepers painted yellow)
Does anyone know a reason for painting the sleepers ?

Cheers :) ,
Dave.

Does anyone have an idea concerning the above question ?

Cheers,
Dave.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:52 pm

The numbers are usually the number of sleepers, used as a reference for work taking place or for the NMT to use as reference
These markings are usually yellow

White is normally used on points and is more common where there are heat sensitive items
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:38 pm

If the numbered sleepers are on a curve, are at regular intervals and go up in 5s, they're to tell the tamper driver the number of millimetres to lift that end of the sleepers to set the cant on a transition curve.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Cheers Guys :) ,
As well as the painted numbers, I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember the occasion sleeper being completely painted in either white or yellow, as the examples I seen were on a disused line closed in the early 90's, is the same practice of paint marking the sleepers with numbers / striped markings for track maintenance purposes still used nowadays on rail lines still in common use ?

Cheers,
Dave.

Return to “Real World Railways”