Stations

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
50035 Ark Royal

Stations

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Penzance
Last edited by 50035 Ark Royal on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

Terrier

Re: Top performers/Most liked

Postby Terrier » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:00 pm

A1X Class 8)

champion

Postby champion » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:23 pm

Only had a few class 52 westerns for haulage on the main line and all gave excellant service,but top runners in order are.

1015 western champion
1010 western campaigner ( very fast and sounds differant to most westerns )
1022 western sentinel
1023 western fusilier
1048 western lady
1013 western ranger
1054 western governor
1041 western prince
1001 western pathfinder
1034 western dragoon ( cab ride paddington-old oak ecs )
All as well in there last year of workings.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:15 pm

89001 was always a pretty good 89.

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Ignoring her most recent injector problems 35028 'Clan Line' has always been one of the best examples of a mainline steam locomotive. 34067 'Tangmere' was also a very good locomotive and was used very often to cover other locomotives, sadly this has resulted her in being in pretty tired condition and is now undergoing major work.

5043 'Earl of Mount Edgecumbe', 4965 'Rood Ashton Hall', 6233 'Duchess of Sutherland', 6201 'Princess Elizabeth' are also good reliable locomotives too.

35005 'Canadian Pacific' was also a good performer during her mainline days apart from her pipe incident which finished her mainline work.

I also have to mention 8F No. 48773, anyone who knows this locomotive during its last couple of years would know she was in extremely tired condition with even her wheels apparently rubbing her frames! There was doubt she would last till the end of her ticket but she proved people wrong and kept going strong till her last day in service.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:32 pm

I totally agree Kieran, Clan Line has been one of the most reliable that's for sure. Most unreliables have to be Flying Scotsman(understandable as the loco is "clapped out"), King Class 6024(what is it with GWR steam locos and hot boxes?). The Kings always seem to run hot box whenever we have tried to travel behind one. 6000 was a cuprit in the 1970's and 6024 is always running hot box, will 6023 be any better I wonder? Castle class Earl of Mount Edgecombe ran hot on it's first relaunch mainline trip.

Tangmere was very unreliable when first restored thankfully Tangmere has turned into a reliable machine.

The faultless performances by Duchess of Sutherland and Tornado (recently bloted it's copy book) are an inspiration of what can be done with enough funds. Can Pac was reliable until it's tube incident but that is all now fixed and the loco is back to full health. Can Pac's mainline work isn't finished, she could still run mainline after overhaul to MT276.

The Duke had a good spell of being reliable and then went into a round of unreliability.

The Nene Valley's 5MT City of Peterborough is very reliable, but has suffered from a rear driving wheel rubbing the main frames since it was first preserved, about time they fixed that one they have had over 30 years to put it right.

Class 35, 50, 37, 55, 20, 40, 45 and 14 are well liked in the diseasel stakes. I have a sneaking regard to class 50's but don't tell er indoors, Mel likes class 37's and 55's.

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:01 pm

son of triangman wrote:T Can Pac was reliable until it's tube incident but that is all now fixed and the loco is back to full health. Can Pac's mainline work isn't finished, she could still run mainline after overhaul to MT276.

I wouldn't say Can Pac is back to full health!

She was withdrawn from service in 2008 for full overhaul, she is apparently in quite tired condition and currently stored outside at Ropley. A mainline return would be very unlikely in her current ownership as the MHR have no desire to put their own locomotives back on the mainline. On the plus side she is well suited to the MHR as it often had Merchant Navies working there in steam days on diverted trains.

The King seems to be one of a select group of locomotives that have become unreliable. I think it could be possibly down to the groups, back in 2006 the King was a sound machine and rarely failed, now as we know this is all different, the Duke is of course similar, as is 850 'Lord Nelson' as well as 60009 'Union of South Africa' was in her last year or two in ticket. Thankfully she is now receiving a well earned overhaul.

I was surprised you listed 73050, i've always known it to be quite an unreliable machine often having issues with her firebox or being withdrawn for repairs. 73096 on the other hand has always been a good machine both on the MHR and the mainline, she was used a lot on various tours and apart from her major cylinder failure last year she's had a good track record.

I also forgot to mention 76079, specially in Ian Rileys care she was a very reliable mainline engine and a good all round performer.

Return to “Real World Railways”