Preserved Loco's with Fictitious Liveries

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
HonestTom

Re: Preserved Loco's with Fictitious Liveries

Postby HonestTom » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:00 am

The Keighley & Worth Valley Railway might have been the ultimate line for fictitious liveries. In the '70s they had a 57xx Pannier wearing the colours it was painted for the Railway Children (which I thought actually suited it quite well), a USA tank in American-style KWVR colours (brown with a white smokebox IIRC) and a 2MT in a bright red KWVR livery. I suppose you could argue that the KWVR was just one of a number of railways that had owned these locomotives, and so was just as entitled to paint them in their own corporate colours, so to speak.

Here's a philosophical question for you - is it historically accurate that Edward Thomas of the Talyllyn Railway wears a green livery? It was repainted in those colours when it was preserved, being previously painted in Corris red. Yet given the amount of time passed, and the historical significance of the Talyllyn Railway in terms of the preservation movement, is Edward Thomas wearing a fictitious livery?

Another point - what if an engine wears a livery that was carried by its class, but not by that particular engine? I'm thinking of A4 Bittern, which for some time wore the silver-grey of the first batch of A4s, but had never carried that livery during its own LNER career.
http://coarsescale.wordpress.com/for all your model railway-related rambling incoherence needs.

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:15 pm

HonestTom wrote:The Keighley & Worth Valley Railway might have been the ultimate line for fictitious liveries. In the '70s they had a 57xx Pannier wearing the colours it was painted for the Railway Children (which I thought actually suited it quite well), a USA tank in American-style KWVR colours (brown with a white smokebox IIRC) and a 2MT in a bright red KWVR livery. I suppose you could argue that the KWVR was just one of a number of railways that had owned these locomotives, and so was just as entitled to paint them in their own corporate colours, so to speak.

Wasn't this down to the fact that British Railways were unpopular with enthusiasts when KWVR started running. I thought the idea was to run without BR showing an influence.

HonestTom

Postby HonestTom » Sun May 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Very possibly. I'm afraid all I have to go on is a 1970s KWVR stockbook that I acquired in a charity shop, and it mostly seems to be the unrestored engines in BR livery. I can sort of see where they were coming from. I'm pretty sick of endless green or black engines myself. See, I actually like Olton Hall in red, just because it's something a bit different. I know, heresy, but that's my opinion.
http://coarsescale.wordpress.com/for all your model railway-related rambling incoherence needs.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:24 pm

HonestTom wrote: I'm pretty sick of endless green or black engines myself.

Makes a pleasent change from everything in BR Blue! :wink:

Splop.

Postby Splop. » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:35 pm

I know this is an old thread, but having just run across it I felt I had to comment.

I personally don't give a hamsters left nutsack what livery a preserved loco is given, I'm just glad to see it still alive and kicking. Besides, some loco's can actually wear a modern livery better than one it originally carried (I would hazard a guess that a Western would look much prettier in Virgin Thunderbird livery, than that god-awful Desert Sand or Golden Ochre that they used to wear.)

Besides, some loco's were withdrawn much too early in their career, meaning that they would never get the chance to wear colours that they no doubt would have worn had they lived a full life (9F in Trainload Coal anyone?)

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:39 am

would 4492 dominion of new zealand count as a fictitious livery as the real 4492 never had the double chimney in that livery?
also i do like some of these liveries from the early day of preservation, KWVR 2mt 41241 in maroon, USA tank in brown, class 42 warship d832 (i think) Onslaught in BR Black, fairburn tank 2085 in Caledonian blue, 2mt 46441 in BR maroon, Bluebell rilways stepney in black and p class 323 in blue. Canadian Pacific looked magnificant in BR blue, i cannot wait to see if 35009 is actually turned out in blue when she returns to steam (little thing i heard somewhere, maybe Kieranhardy could shed some light on this?) :)
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

Splop.

Postby Splop. » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:42 am

Spam cans in blue certainly look the part.

Although not fictitious, It would be nice to see a real one carry it today.

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Splop. wrote:Spam cans in blue certainly look the part.

I'd say that one is fictitious as 35031 never existed! :wink:

But you would have to unrebuilt a MN to get that again, 35022 anyone?

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:17 pm

kieranhardy wrote:

If it can be done on a Duchess it can be done on a MN! :wink: Next Steam Railway Appeal anyone? :lol:

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:41 pm

kennyGWSR wrote:
kieranhardy wrote:

If it can be done on a Duchess it can be done on a MN! :wink: Next Steam Railway Appeal anyone? :lol:

A MN would sadly require far more work than the Duchess did. A Duchess's streamlining was really mainly for show yet to unrebuild a rebuilt MN you would need to construct a new oil bath and chain driven valve gear then build a new smokebox and the casing, not to mention all the other expensive tasks to return a barry wreck to steam such as the boiler, tender, cylinders, cab, wheels etc. Serious money would be needed!

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:38 pm

Splop. wrote:I know this is an old thread, but having just run across it I felt I had to comment.

I personally don't give a hamsters left nutsack what livery a preserved loco is given, I'm just glad to see it still alive and kicking. Besides, some loco's can actually wear a modern livery better than one it originally carried (I would hazard a guess that a Western would look much prettier in Virgin Thunderbird livery, than that god-awful Desert Sand or Golden Ochre that they used to wear.)

Besides, some loco's were withdrawn much too early in their career, meaning that they would never get the chance to wear colours that they no doubt would have worn had they lived a full life (9F in Trainload Coal anyone?)

Hi David wait till Champion sees that , he will not be pleased :lol: a Western in Virgin Thunderbird Livery.
But hey i do agree with you on the Desert Sand Livery and Golden Orche.
As regards my favourite locos 50017 was an absoloute travesty in that clour and the people who painted her in that Livery should be shot
50007 in GWR Green i like , but not the name. :lol:
50044 looks too much like a duff for my liking, it would be better with FYE
50035 is growing on me very slowly but would be better without the Loadhaul logo and without the orange plates, red or black or blue or even yellow would be much better.
I have no problem with locos carrying liveries they never did in BR Service eg Hood with blue or black roof, Triumph in ONSE etc as other locos carried theese liveries.
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:48 pm

50035 Ark Royal wrote:
Splop. wrote:I know this is an old thread, but having just run across it I felt I had to comment.

Hi David wait till Champion sees that , he will not be pleased :lol: a Western in Virgin Thunderbird Livery.
But hey i do agree with you on the Desert Sand Livery and Golden Orche.
As regards my favourite locos 50017 was an absoloute travesty in that clour and the people who painted her in that Livery should be shot
50007 in GWR Green i like , but not the name. :lol:
50044 looks too much like a duff for my liking, it would be better with FYE
50035 is growing on me very slowly but would be better without the Loadhaul logo and without the orange plates, red or black or blue or even yellow would be much better.
I have no problem with locos carrying liveries they never did in BR Service eg Hood with blue or black roof, Triumph in ONSE etc as other locos carried theese liveries.

stop calling it snotvac then ian if you like the GWR green!!!! :lol:

pheasant

Postby pheasant » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:15 am

50035 in First Great Western livery? :) :lol: :wink:

Foo

Postby Foo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:59 am

I actually quite like that and was thinking of doing it sonetime cand perhaps the purists won't mind this one, seeing as "it's an outrage the 50s were withdrawn" if they were still going thus would be the livery they carried.

Splop.

Postby Splop. » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:04 am

Agreed, however some were working out of Birmingham New Street, so maybe these could've carried something like Virgin 3 Stripe or even Intercity Swallow?

Return to “Real World Railways”